one

1|LONG DAYS

"Afterward, thanks to the coordinated efforts of the Scout Regiment and the Garrison Regiments Corps or Engineers, Wall Rose once against stood as a bulwark against the Titan hordes. It was a full days work dispatching the Titans who remained corralled within Trosts perimeter, during which the wall mounted cannons fired ceaselessly. Most of the Titans nearest the wall were wiped out by explosive shells. The few remaining once the smoke cleared were summarily cut down by the Scout Regiment. During the so called cleanup operation, two Titans, a 4 metre and a 7 metre, were captured alive and successful restrained. However, all told, 207 people were either dead or missing and 897 were counted among the injured. So whole the reclamation of Trost represented the first true victory for humanity in its fight against Titans, too many soldiers had fallen for celebration to be in order."

Her blue eyes scanned around the white tent, watching as the white dressed women all prepared themselves for todays work. After the attacks a few days ago, today was going to be a long day and Lillian had already mentally prepared herself for what horrors she might find. She safely secured the white fabric around her face and pulled the rubber gloves further up her arms.

"Doctor, here is your clip board." A young nurse ran up to her and passed the blonde doctor a clipboard and pen, something to note down all the bodies she finds.

"All right everyone!" Lillian addressed everyone in the tent, standing tall by the entrance. "Everyone knows the plan and has their area. Keep your eyes open for any stray titans. Dismissed."

Everyone exited the tent behind her and she quickly followed. Even with the fabric tied tightly around her face the smell of death was prominent.

Jumping on to her horse she rode off to her area, watching the blurred grim faces as she passed. She let out a loud sigh as she tied up her horse and went into 'work mode'. Working with the military she counted and marked the bodies and told the soldiers where to put them.

"If you have a name for this one, it'd be helpful to pass it along." Lillian approached a Cadet Corps when she noticed his hesitation to deal with a body.

"Marco, what happened?" The soldier mumbled to himself. "No. Somebody saw it. Had to have. Somebody knows how he went out."

"I need his name, soldier. We don't have time for this." She urged, becoming frustrated but sympathetic at the young man. "Please, son. You understand? It's been two days since we bored up the hole in Wall Rose. That's too long. We're nowhere near accounting for all the dead. Unless these poor souls are dealt with soon, an epidemic is likely to break out. We're the first line of defence against secondary disaster. We'll lament the fallen after we've done our jobs. Is that understood?"

"He was a member of the 104th Cadet Corps, captain of Squad 19. Marco Bodt." He answered her, his voice strained as he pushed away the tears.

"Bodt. Duly noted, then." Lillian quickly scribbled down the fallens name and position before looking back at the young man. "Thank you, cadet. I appreciate the help. Continue."

She immediately turned away from him, walking over to another body and tagging him to say he has been accounted for. Lillian was exhausted from this line of work, a job which she chose to help people but now only brings heartbreak to families.

"Soldier!" She called to a Garrison soldier standing by her doing no work.

"Ma'am." He saluted her, watching her carefully as she stood up. Although she was a short woman, her beauty and reputation made her an intimidating woman.

"Wrap this body in a white sheet and move it to the trailer." He saluted her again before getting to work. Lillian left him be and walked over to another body, tagging it and marking it down. She ambled over to the next body and instantly recognised it as a Garrison soldier, an old friend of her she had made over her years of being a doctor.

"Alice, what happened?" Lillian sighed, wiping her hand against her forehead in attempts to remove the sweat the had gathered from the immense heat.

This is how the next few days went, taging bodies and marking them down. Once all bodies had been accounted for the nurses went back to the white tent, Lillian greeting them all with a gentle welcome and kind words. Their gloves were disposed of and fabrics removed, white aprons tossed aside as they finally relaxed after their busy schedule.

While some went to attend the soldiers in the infirmary, others went home to their loved ones. Lillian, however, was called to court by the Premier. She knew what it was about, her Godson was a monster and he wanted her there with plans no one knew of. Sitting with the commoners, she waited for it to begin.