Chapter Seven

As the duo began their journey homebound, somehow their chest felt lighter and better after that short apology.

          Everest knew everyone's got a good bone in them though she couldn't figure it herself of how to make that shine, so naturally.. She'd just either ignore them or deal with them until it eventually comes.

          Their surroundings had fallen much more quiet, and the crickets began to bow a sweet steady rhythm in the background. Trees passed by them like silk falling through.

          Her eyes were heavy, as if her lids were carrying chains of metallic balls, her head reforming into an anvil that weights a tonne.. Her mind couldn't function properly that she thought that she's feeling pretty delusional herself.

          Marshall sensed her energy slipping away and had to look back to make sure she doesn't slip away with it. She was barely holding on, so he knew he had to slow down, otherwise she'd tumble out of the truck and the blame would be on him.

          Honestly, he wished he could close his eyes for a moment and rest his weary mind. It has been a long day, and a lot of thoughts have crossed his mind today.

          From it being Chase to other several thoughts that live free rent in his mind, both were enough to exhaust him and deplete his brain cells.

          "Can't wait to get home and sleep" He slurs indistinctively  to himself. He too, felt like an infant that was ready for slumber during these times, but he knows himself doing his so would place both the driver and the passenger in danger.

          So he fought those fatigue away anyway, and continued to look into the dim road — forcefully.

          "Ugh.. It's too.. Quiet." He complains to himself at the realization it truly was deafeningly quiet. He looked around his surroundings for no reason and continued looking ahead.

          According to his newly installed GPS, they should be out of this rough road — with this pace, within thirty minutes or less. In his opinion, it was a good bargain in exchange for a slow speed for their safety.

          As the slow driving pace continues to persist, the only rhythm he could hear were the engine that continuously functions, the deafening silence, the steady breaths of the husky, and his heartbeat that beats oddly weird.

          Of course, he shrugged this off and thought of it as something relates to fatigue. But he heard faint whispers from the passenger behind him. He couldn't quite comprehend her words clearly, but one word he understood was — that one syllable, to listen.

          But why? He thought himself. Looking to the left, the right, there gleamed a bright yellow hue. Right away, he knew what they were and stomped at the gas pedal with no mercy.

          Immediately, this sped up the vehicle's speed and threw him aback for quite awhile as the wind rushed to his face.

          Rocks and pebbles that were displaced onto the rocky path threw them off balance and tossed them on the air constantly. It was no peaceful ride at all.

          "A-ahh!" Screams the husky in terror, as she had opened her eyes in such a tense scenario and landed on it without such context. She looked to the back to catch up and file a few pages of information for herself.