Chapter Twenty-One

Scream

Scream. That's all I could do . I could only scream , until my voice went raw . My stomach was upset , but that wasn't the top priority of my worries , in fact , nothing that was happening with me worried me . I just left a man to die . 160mp/h , that's how fast I was going , I couldn't bear to remember the sight, I couldn't bare to look at Otis and see the man being eaten . I ran like a coward . I just left a man to die , the worst death someone could take their last breath .

Flashback

'' I got everything '' I looked around the room , a lot of medical equipment laying around , what was left of the people were dead . And some , walking down the hallway's , unfortonally , Otis was more experienced with a gun , and he was afraid to get close to one of those things , which left me the only person capable of killing it when they got too close . Firing a gun in this place was like ringing a bell for dinner , even the slightest noise could make the creatures walk towards us . I had two bags , as Otis carried the heavier one . Now we just had to get back to the truck and leave . The easy part was done , now comes the hardest .

I lead the way towards the stairs , I had killed most of the ones that were in the second floor , but the first was infested of them so the only option was the gym. Walking down the stairs , my foot failed me , sending me down the flair of stairs . My head hitting the railing , a sharp pain on my stomach made me look up , the shock of falling down the stairs made me dizzy and incapable of reacting . My vision went blurry , and my ears rang as gunshots were fired .

'' C'mon '' Otis grabbed me by the arm as now , the bell for dinner was rang . I got up , feeling blood traveling down my face and to my neck , my vision turning red as blood coated my eyelashes . I felt my stomach drop , nausea hit me so strong I thought I couldn't take one step towards the exit without falling down . But the man held me up .

'' Those windows, what's on the other side? '' I asked the man as i looked around me , my voice breaking as I looked at the exit at the door that we just came through being swarmed by the walkers . I was looking at the windows on the far end of the gym , the back was our only option .

'' About a 20-foot drop with nothing to catch you, maybe some bushes, then the athletic field ''

'' We just need enough time. We need to get there. We get to them open and get out '' I spoke , leaning on the wall for support . I needed to catch my breath .

'' Not me. Maybe you '' Otis looked at me with a tormented expression .

'' Hey hey hey '' I punched the man with the rest of my strength on the shoulder .

'' Come on, look at me. You really think I can squeeze through one of them tiny windows? They'd be all over us. Look, we lay down some fire to get a head start. You stay here. I hop down and draw them away. That gives you the chance to get up the bleachers and out a window '' He tells me his plan , but I shake my head , no way I was letting the man behind .