Chapter Four

first person

first person

'' So all of this because of a Wrangler Jeep? '' Crystal asks on the passenger seat as i drive behind Rick. Glenn was at the front blasting the alarm as he speeds off on the red Camaro.

'' It's a Jeep, besides, we're going with these people, we might need a ride if something happens or if we need to leave. '' I explain as i keep driving, the radio playing a calm tune.

'' I just don't get it, with these people we might get a real chance on finding someone from the government, to protect us. Why do you wanna go back? '' She asks, crossing her legs, Indian style.

'' Because it's my mom we're talking about, she's all i have left Crystal. You should know that by now '' I grunt in response as i grab the steering wheel with more pressure than necessary. I huff in annoyance.

The dirt road was the perfect place to drive the jeep, minus the dust that flew and entered my mouth as i kept the windows down due to the heat of the Atlanta Summer. I parked behind the truck and i let a deep breath escape my lips, grabbing a cigarette and lighting the stick.

'' You know you're going to run out of them if you keep smoking so much, don't you? '' Crystal says. Morales waves towards us to get out of the car and we do so, as Rick already jumps to the ground. I open my door and i walk behind Morales and Rick.

'' Dad '' I ear a child's scream that wakes me up from my state. The kid runs towards Rick who kneels on the ground. Tears come to my eyes but i don't let them fall, a woman with brown long hair hugs Rick. I guess he did find his family after all. Who knew!

I smile at the three as everyone has their mouths open at the scene.

'' C' mon, let them have some privacy '' Crystal nudges my arm as she cleans the tears from her eyes. A tall man with dark hair and dark eyes look at the both of us as we walk past him .

''Ash? '' I ear a woman's voice a couple of feet away from me, waking me up from my personal talk with my mind. It was like the ground i was walking just left and i was standing there, waiting to fall.

'' Mom '' This time i let the tears fall, my voice trembling from the emotion, my chest tightens as i look at her brown hair, her face was now drenched in tears. She's standing on the small campfire that had chairs and logs of wood as chairs. I didn't see shit in front of me as i ran for my life, jumping as i got to the logs of wood and embracing the petite body of my mom. '' I thought i had lost you mom '' I cried on her shoulder and i hold onto her for dear life.

'' I'm right here '' She chuckles, crying on my chest due to the height difference.

'' Are you okay? '' I grab her face, looking into her brown eyes.

'' Yes i am, are you? '' She asks

''Yeah, i have Crystal with me. '' I look behind me as i see Crystal running towards us two with tears streaming down her face too. She takes my spot, holding my mom on a tight hug.

'' Are you alright honey? '' My mom asks Crystal who nods, spilling the last few weeks at her.

'' This place is safe? '' I ask my mom who nods.

'' As safe as it can be '' A man's voice sound behind me, the footsteps approaching.

'' On one to ten, how safe? '' I ask .

'' Six '' I nod, not bad. But still, i preferred something with walls around us. '' I have stuff on the jeep, some food i found when i went out '' I say.

'' You went all by yourself? '' My mom asks and i nod, glancing at Crystal from the corner of my eye that was now meeting people from the camp.

'' Let's just say she's not fond of those things, she panics and freezes on the place '' I jerk my head towards Crystal's direction.

''Come, i'll help you with your stuff '' The man offered.

'' We're going to start to make dinner, go and make yourself comfortable sweetie '' My mom hugs me once again as i walk side by side with the man.

'' Shane Walsh, and you are Ashley Reyez '' He says, not even letting me introduce myself, i chuckle.

'' Well informed '' I nod as we walk to the Jeep i stole from the city.

'' Your mom spoke about you every day '' He looks at me side-eyed and i nod.

'' Yeah'' I open the truck as i grab the tent and the bag of food. '' How did she get here? '' I ask Shane who looks at me with hungry eyes.

'' I took her from the hospital '' He sits on the truck and i take a seat next to him. '' I went there to get Rick but he wasnt...alive, and she was hiding underneath his bed, as soon as i moved the bed i saw her. She tried to listen to his heart and all, i don't know if it was the gunshots around the hospital, neither could i ear. So we left him there, i took her and went straight to Lori's house. ''

''Lori? '' I ask, tilting my head.

'' His wife, she was worried sick. Your ma' helped us a lot. '' He nods with a small smile on his face as i nodded.

'' You saved my mom's life and for that i owe you mine '' I point a finger at him '' And I'm serious, i owe you my life. Thank you '' I said, looking into his eyes.