Chapter Thirteen

" The humankind is gone

" The humankind is gone. Those are harsh words to begin with, but it's the truth. It all started with a virus outbreak, and slowly the people all around us started to get infected. No one knows how to stop it from spreading, we only know how to kill what is left of a human being. Destroy the brain, make sure you have no scratches, and do it like us. Try to survive the best way you can.

Ashley Luana Reyez, 02-07-2010

" Whatcha doing? " I'm awake from my own thoughts at Crystal sitting beside me. The table was way too crowded for me, i needed some space. I had found a pen and paper lying around and i took advantage of it. I missed writing in my journal.

" Just writing some stuff " I shrug.

" Have you ate? " She asks, as she eats some scrambled eggs.

" Yeah " I chuckle.

" Good " She says, looking awkward as ever. I knew Crystal and i knew she wasn't this awkward in fact I was always the awkward one, not her unless something had happened.

" So what happened? " I look at her, pressing my head against the counter.

" Daryl and i spoke, " She says, a blush covering her cheeks.

" How did it go? " I ask, smiling at her. She blushes even harder.

" We- " She's interrupted by the group cheering on the doctor. My leg starts shaking, as i look at the man.

I stay still, watching his every move. Is then the moment i get up from the floor, and i make my voice heard.

" I'm sorry to ruin the mood, but I'm sure you know we're not here for the wine. " I say as i slightly look at the bottles of wine around the table, i could see people getting uncomfortable.

" We don't have to do this right now " Rick was the first one who spoke.

" No, she's right " The doctor spoke, as he looked at me with a scared expression.

" Do you have any answers? " I ask, as i take a deep breath.

" If you're wondering about the cure, no. Until this day i haven't found one, and i don't think i ever will "

" But there are more posts, right? " Andrea is the one who speaks.

" There is, but we have lost connection a long time ago. I'm sorry to disappoint all of you, but i am what's left " The doctor answers, looking ashamed most of all.

I cross my arms in front of me, Crystal and everyone had their moods down already. She looked at me with her big green eyes. Pleading me to stop.

" Why haven't you left the facility yet? I mean, i get it. But, why haven't you opted out there? Being here, all alone " I say, Rick threw something to the table and got up.

" I think it's enough questions for today. We are all tired ..." He started to walk towards me, Crystal grabbed my hand as we watched the display.

" Way to bring the mood down Lu" Glenn was the one to speak as everyone left the table.

I rolled my eyes as we followed Jenner to a corridor.

"There are couches and in some rooms even beds, if you prefer to sleep in a bed there's some in the storage room....the kid's room has enough space for them, there are toys and books. Just don't turn on the power, the same applies to the showers. Go easy on the hot water ...."

I stayed in the back as everyone gushed about the opportunity to have a shower with hot water. Something about all of this wasn't settling well in my stomach.

I opened the door of the farthest room that had a couch and a bookcase. I threw my bag to the bookcase and closed the door, leaving slightly ajar. I went for the bookcase and started to look at all the books. Running my fingers through them, this was someone's books, someone, was at this same exact spot that i was months ago. It's surreal how life can change in so little.

The air was humid in the room, almost suffocating. I grabbed some clean clothes i had and some other hygiene products and went to the bathroom that Crystal and my mom had claimed for the time being. There were four showers, and i bet Carol was or would be taking a shower too.

-

The sleep had stayed outside, i couldn't close my eyes, i tried but they wouldn't close. So i grabbed a random book and started to read. I was almost halfway through it when there was a knock on my door. I sighed, it was probably Rick about to give me a lecture.

" Come in " I said, mentally drained.

A taller person, with black curls and a deep frown on their face, was at the doorway instead.

" All the rooms are packed, you mind me staying here? " He asked.

" Sure, go ahead " I pointed to the couch, as i got up.

" I can take the floor, " He says, closing the door.

" I'm not that tired, im sure i won't get any sleep tonight " I shrugged and sat on the floor, crossing my legs as i started to read again. But something was keeping Shane awake. " So, you're not gonna give me a lecture? Or you're gonna leave that job to your pal? " I ask Shane as i steal a look at his face.

He grunted.

" I came to terms that stupidity can't be fixed, even if it's the end of the world, " He says, not so kind to me. I shrug. " What? No snarky remark, no nothing? "

I close the book and look at him. He was sitting on the couch as he looked at me, his look was running deep inside of me. A shiver ran down my spine. My body felt tingly from just the way he looked at me.

" What do you want me to say? I said what i had to say, the world might have ended, but freedom didn't. If i want to ask something i will, you don't like it? Well, there's more important stuff not to like right now, sorry to disappoint you " I say, as i get up from the floor and i walked towards my bag.

" We were finally having a peaceful night, after all the shit we have endured .." He started to raise his voice at me once more.

" First of all, you won't raise your voice at me " I walk straight to him " You don't find it even a little bit suspicious about all of this? He's in here since it all started, he has nothing to work with or for, and he doesn't go up? See who survived if there are any survivors? " I ask, aggravated.

" It's his choice "

" It was also his choice to let us inside, take a look around Shane. We're underground in a medical and well-protected facility, there's no way out if we need to leave ." I take my jacket off, i hated this room, goddamn humidity.

" I get it, you're rationalizing things. But take a look around, we have people to look after, to take care of. " He breaths rapidly as he walks around.

" And that's why i do what i do. We have to use our fucking heads, think about every situation possible " I kick a pillow that had fallen to the ground. My hands go to my waist as i look at Shane.

" You know sometimes is good to use your daddy's acknowledgment, but not when it comes to peoples lives "

My veins burned with rage. If looks could kill he would be dead at the moment.

" What did you just said? " I take two big steps before im right in front of him. I had to look up at him due to our height difference.

" You heard me " He mocked me.

" You know what, you can get this room. Everywhere is better than four walls with you " I almost spat on the ground. I turn around and walk straight to the door, but before i can open it his hand roughly grabs my shoulder and slams me against the door.

All i can feel seconds later are his lips against mine.