Chapter Twelve

It was burning inside the jeep, the windows were all rolled down but still, the breeze of the Georgia sun was making me sweat

It was burning inside the jeep, the windows were all rolled down but still, the breeze of the Georgia sun was making me sweat. I was in the passenger seat as Shane was driving. Mom and Crystal in the back, sleeping peacefully. I look out of the window to see destruction all around us.

I look at Shane for a split second, then back at mom and Crystal.

" What's up with you and Lori? " I asked, as we passed another trail of trees.

" What do you mean? " He asks, voice scratchy as his knuckles turn white.

A small smile appears on my face as i look at him, he was nervous by my question, his chest leveled up.

" You two had something going on, before Rick came along " I said, fixing my ponytail.

He sighs.

" What gave it away " He looks out the window with an angry look.

" Well for starters, the secret arguments you had and she asked me if we had something "

He chuckles but stays silent. We see the RV stopping upfront, our car was the last one.

" It must be Jim " I say, as i open the door to go check.

" Hey, stay here i'll go check it " Shane grabs my hand and pulls me back inside. He leaves and walks towards the RV, a few people already out of their cars to see what was happening.

I look behind me to see Crystal with a shocked expression.

" I can't believe she did that " She whispers. " Do you think...? " She asks, quietly so she doesn't wake up mom.

" They will do it again? " I ask, turning around. I shrug. " I don't know, but Lori is a control freak, now that she has Rick i don't think so ."

" What about Shane? " She asks

" What about him? " I ask

" Do you think he will get over her? What if Rick finds out? " She asks, mouth agape

I chuckle.

" I don't know Crys' " I look to the road to see Shane walking towards us. He leans on the window and looks at Crystal.

" Jim's gonna stay, if someone wants to say their goodbyes now is the time " He sighs.

We have lost another member of the group.

-

Back in the car, after an emotional part take, we drove towards the CDC. The end of the day was aproaching and we would be running out of sunlight in no time. In the city with hundreds of dead ones walking around. There weren't many good thoughts going around my head.

My leg shakes as we see the building. The entire city covered now in purple and orange. Gradually, each car stops.

" It's time " Shane looks at me and at Crystal and Mom that were now awake.