Chapter Twenty-Five

We were back in the jeep, me in the backseat as Crystal and Shane sat on the front, driving now to the farm once again

We were back in the jeep, me in the backseat as Crystal and Shane sat on the front, driving now to the farm once again. We were quick on the neighborhood, although we had found a lot of useful things including food and medicine that could last for the next month. Getting lost in the dark and destroyed view, i got back to reality when the Jeep started to slow down. I looked at the front, confused.

" It seems to be in good state " Shane comments, only then i noticed the silver jeep parked on the side of the road.

" We can take a look since it's still light outside " Crystal suggested. I got ready to go out when Shane looked behind and put his hand on my knee.

" You stay here. We take a quick look, it won't be long " He said, not waiting for an answer, and got out of my jeep, Crystal gave me a smile and left too. I watched both aproaching the Jeep and killing the dead ones that were around.

They opened the doors and the trunk, clearing what was inside and looking through. Shane sat on the driver's seat and the lights turned on, which meant he had found a key.

Shane returned by himself to the Jeep once again.

" Crystal's going to take this one back to the farm, that one has a full tank. I'm planning on going to the neighborhood close to the farm, you wanna go with me? Just to look through " He asked me, moving his eyes from me every second.

I took this opportunity to try and apologize to him. Back at the farm, there wasn't much space or even privacy to talk.

" Yeah, sure " My heart started to bump inside my chest.

He left to go back to the Jeep and Crystal came back, i got the backpack i was carrying with a few more snacks and water and said goodbye to Crystal, closing the door for the Jeep and walking towards the one Shane was taking.

" Here, let me help you " Shane approached me and took the backpack from me, holding me carefully so i wouldn't trip over the plants that were on the ground. He opened the door and made sure i was inside the car with the seatbelt before closing the door and walking towards the driver's seat. I saw the baby blue Jeep drive past us. While Shane swerved and turned around, so we could go to the neighborhood we passed by. It was probably a ten-minute drive from the Farm.

It was silent the whole drive, only when we started to approach the neighborhood was when we spoke towards each other. It was completely ruined, this one we could see the destruction and what the world had come to.

" There's no way she's here " I murmured.

" You still think she's out there? " He asked, parking the car away from the other ones that were burnt to the ground.