Chapter 29

Here's the next chapter! :D My school starts tomorrow, so I might not be able to update that frequently, but I promise I'll try! :D Thanks for staying with me for so long! Please vote and comment for this chapter. I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers, so please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me! ;D Picture of Dr Lucy on the side. ;) 

Chapter 29

                “Benjamin? Are you awake?”

                Benjamin became aware of a blinding red glow beneath his closed eyelids. Not wanting to face the light, he screwed his eyes shut.

                “I know you can hear me,” the woman’s voice said; it was soft and like caramel, making his think of the one person’s voice that he longed to hear.

                “Kayla?” he asked before he could stop himself; none of Varmer’s agents would appreciate his continued sentimentality.

                “No, don’t you remember me?” the same woman asked and as her voice registered with his mental list, his eyes flew open in surprise.

                The light was just as blinding as he had previously anticipated; he winced at the harsh lights and closed his eyelids again. Then the glow dimmed and he was able to force his eyes open again.

                A young woman in a white lab coat stood next to his bed. She was pretty in a robotic way; her coat was impeccable, her pale blonde hair was twisted into a bun at the nape of her neck without a single strand out of place and her pale green eyes were cold and unassuming. The face matched her voice that Benjamin remembered; it was Dr Lucy, one of Varmer’s magicians who dubbed as a psychiatrist and doctor.

                “Dr Lucy,” Benjamin said.

                She nodded, pulling up a chair and sitting down next to him. “How are you feeling?”

                Benjamin tried to sit up to give himself time to remember what he was doing there; it was impossible for his limbs hurt too much.

                “Don’t force yourself,” Dr Lucy replied. “Take your time.”

                She helped him to sit up on the plain white bed and he glanced around, noting the otherwise empty infirmary and the empty beds. He was the only patient; Varmer did not tolerate many injuries or illnesses. If you were too weak to cope, you would be killed.

                “How long have I been unconscious?” Benjamin asked, rubbing his suddenly aching temples.

                “Almost a day,” Dr Lucy said, pursing her lips. “Leo brought you here yesterday after you fainted. He was worried that one of the prisoners had harmed you during the fight that you had had.”

                In a flash, it came back to him: the prisoner of war that Varmer had had kidnapped, the fight, her revelation of her name and the realization that he had come too when he had seen her properly. She couldn’t know... she was only six…

                “Benjamin?” Dr Lucy was calling for his attention. “What happened? Why did you collapse? I did a full body check up on you and you seemed fine.”

                Benjamin cursed under his breath. Dr Lucy was a psychiatrist not because she was particularly charming like Dahlia, but because she had post-cognitive abilities. When she focused on someone, she could see that person’s past, the good and the bad, all his or her secrets. Sometimes, with intense concentration, she could have visions of the past not entirely related to a particular person.