Chapter 43

Here's the next chapter! :D I really hope you guys like it! :D This chapter is the most cliffhanger-ish one that I've had in a while and I hope it clears a lot of stuff up... Please stick with me! :D Book 4 is almost done! :D After this chapter, there are just two more. Who wants to guess what Book 5 is called? :P Picture of Kayla and Benjamin on the side. :D

Chapter 43

                The five magicians materialized in a large dark room. Kayla could barely make out the dim outlines of training targets set up for practice, but she recognized the room as the training room, to the left of the armoury. It hadn't changed since the last time she'd been there. There were still holographic projectors that would display your greatest fears that you had to fight to become a stronger warrior.

                "Where are we?" Hunter asked.

                Kayla cringed at the noise; she wasn't sure if Varmer might have set any traps that were triggered by noise. After all, Hunter hadn't gone into the House of Glamours like the rest of them had and therefore had no reason to be wary for traps.

                "We're in the training room," Troy muttered as quietly as possible. "I brought us here because I figured no one else would be here what with Varmer's attack. It seems that I was right."

                "Well, what happens now?" Dahlia whispered, taking the room in with her eyes; Kayla noted her eyes already swivelling around, looking for any hidden traps and secret poisonous darts.

                Kayla took a quick animal breath of fear and let it out.  Being the only one who knew what she was going to do; Tamarak shot her a sympathetic look and squeezed her hand comfortingly in a brotherly gesture.

                "You have to go and find the immortals and Jenna," Kayla said firmly, her voice betraying none of her fear. "They should be held captive at the prison cells."

                "Wait, you're not coming with us?" Troy asked, immediately catching her use of the word 'you' as opposed to 'we'.

                "You aren't going either," Tamarak said. "Hunter, Dahlia and I are, but you're going to stay and help Kayla."

                "What?" Hunter and Troy demanded simultaneously.

                Dahlia crossed her arms over her chest. "Kayla, seriously, it's time that you're honest with us. We just followed you to Varmer's castle, the most dangerous place in the world because we trust you; that's why we're here. But it's about time that you tell us what's going on. We can't help you if we don't know what your plan or your end game is."

                Kayla winced, knowing full well that the time had come to be straight with them. If Dahlia thought that she always procrastinated, Kayla was a hundred times worse. She had kept secrets from Troy and Dahlia for years. But this time, she really did have to be brutally honest with all of them; not just Troy and Dahlia, but also Hunter, who was going to have his spirit crushed when she confessed the truth. With a slow measured breath, she released Troy's and Tamarak's hands.

                "Okay," she finally said. "You're right, Dahlia. I didn't tell you about my plan tonight because if I had, you wouldn't have helped me."

                "That's not true!" Troy protested. "And obviously you trusted Luna, Raven, Sapphire and Tamarak with your plan but you neglected to tell me about it. Your own brother! Again."