Chapter 36

Here's the next chapter! :D Please vote and comment for it! :D I really hope you guys like it! I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please vote and comment for it to identify yourselves to me! :D The picture on the side is of Troy! :D 

Chapter 36

                The trio’s frantic screams did nothing but distract them from the incoming danger of the vines. Possibly the vines could sense that Dahlia’s voice was the most dangerous; they looped around her mouth, cutting off her shouts.

                “Let go of her!” Troy shouted; he swiped his sword at the vine, cutting it off in the middle, not daring to swing his sword near Dahlia’s face.

                Kayla yelped as the vines pinned her arms to her sides; she could not swing her spear. The vines tightened until she could barely feel her arms, much less move them about. She could practically sense the bruises that were going to form all over her arms and torso. Despite her frantic struggles, she could not get free.

                Once again, Troy came to her rescue, swinging his sword frantically in an attempt to cut her free. His sword nicked her side, but Kayla ignored the stinging pain as a trickle of blood ran down her arm. With her free hand, she sheathed Excalibur from its sheath, halting as a particularly spiky vine tangled and trapped her wrist. Swearing, she groaned as the thorns in the vine drew blood.

                Neither Troy nor Dahlia came to her rescue; Troy was swinging his sword at vines threateningly, almost like a baseball bat and Dahlia was playing cat and mouse with a particularly vicious cluster of vines that looked almost alive.

                With both hands trapped, Kayla lashed out with a frustrated kick, only to get it tangled up too. It took all of her self-control not to scream in pain because that was the leg that had gotten burned by lava from the river. The vines tugged, sending Kayla crashing onto the floor, wincing as the vines pulled her spear one way and her body the other.

                The next second, the pain around her waist eased as Dahlia drove her dagger through one of her restraints. Troy stood around them, sweeping his sword back and forth in an attempt to keep the vines at bay.

                “Get up,” Troy growled as he hacked through the greenery that was pulling her spear away from her.

                Irritation at his attitude, Kayla forced herself to her feet, using Excalibur to cut away the last vine around her leg. Dahlia and Troy stood around her, trying to deflect the vines and cut them apart faster than the treacherous plants could ensnare them.

                Finally, Kayla gained her feet again and started advancing on the vines, hacking them away with Excalibur, rather than her spear. Troy followed, using his sword- it had a longer reach than Dahlia’s daggers- to cut away the ones that Kayla missed. Dahlia brought up the rear, keeping close to Troy.

                Kayla gasped in surprise the second Excalibur came into contact with the vines. They recoiled from her blade and sunk back into the wall. Within a minute or two, the only vines threatening them were the ones in front of Kayla; neither Troy nor Dahlia was in any danger from the plants anymore.

                “What’s going on?” Troy asked suddenly after walking three steps without being attacked by the creeping plants.

                “Kayla’s doing something to the vines,” Dahlia said slowly, surprise evident in her voice despite the fact that the light was so dim that they could barely see one another.