Chapter 30

So my school term has officially started and my chances of updating twice a week are slim, but I'll do my best to post a chapter at least once a week, probably on the weekend. In case any of you are wondering, there are about 10-15 chapters of Book 4 left only! Then it'll be on to Book 5, the fifth and final book in The Elemental Chronicles! I'll be writing a side-along companion book as well which will be updated after Book 5 is completed. :D Thanks for sticking with me for so long! :D Once again, I'll be dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers! Please vote and comment! Thanks! :D Picture of Troy and Dahlia on the side. ;) 

Chapter 30

                The arena was very large; it could fit over hundreds of trainees. There were hundreds of dummies that circled the area; the dummies were used for archery, knife-throwing and spear-throwing too. The dummies were set at strategic locations that enabled all of them to be used without fear of injuring other trainees.

                In the centre of the training arena, there was a large empty area where the trainees had mock fights. Some of the challenges involved magic, while other merely used their weapons. Although Kayla had not been around at the time, she had been told about a fight in which Troy had defeated Tristan, a Magician of Earth and controller of diamonds, on his first day at the Elemental Academy.

                Kayla had helped teach several Magicians of Earth there before, but it was different to be using it by herself. After throwing her spear around and summoning it back again about five times, she unsheathed Excalibur and began fighting, hacking at the dummies with both weapons like she was in a real battle.

                The exercise reminded her of training at Varmer’s castle. Although he was a terrible person, she had to admit that he was good at training magicians to fight. Many of the techniques that she had used against his own army were fighting skills that he had taught her.

                Although Kayla was not ambidextrous, she had learned how to fight independently with both hands. Since her right hand was her dominant hand and she was stronger with that arm, she used her spear there and depended on her left hand to use Excalibur, only when she needed too. It was fortunate that she was skilled at that, for not many magicians, including Troy and Dahlia, knew how to do that.

                “You know, there are simulations that Kathryn created that can help you to actually fight virtual enemies?” a voice interrupted Kayla’s training.

                Battle instinct was still raging through Kayla so when she heard the voice, she spun on her heels and hurled her spear at her target. As she pivoted on her heel, she caught sight of her victim, his mouth open in a large ‘O’ of surprise.

                Troy, Dahlia and Raven stood there, all holding hands like Troy had just shadow-travelled them in from the day of funerals. Apparently, they had noticed her absence; their concern for her was going to get Troy killed.

                Kayla swore and tapped her bracelet, trying to retract the spear before it could punch through Troy’s sternum. Due to the incredible velocity that Kayla had put into the throw, she only succeeded in shoving it to the side; the spear was now aiming for Dahlia, the only one of the three who could not stop the spear before it hurt her.

                “No!” The involuntary cry burst out of Kayla as she ran forward, knowing that she would be too late.

                A loud crash sounded as Troy slammed into Dahlia, knocking them both sideways and straight into one of the dummies. They hit the floor hard, Troy on top, at the same time as the spear stopped moving directly in mid-air.