Chapter 11

Sorry for the delay in the update! I had competitions and have school exams coming up... I'll try to continue updating as fast as I can, but thank you so much for staying with me this entire time. I'll continue to dedicate the chapters to my loyal readers, so please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me! :D Thank you. :D Picture of Jenna on the side. :) 

Chapter 11

                The confirmation of Jenna’s disappearance made sickness erupt in the pit of Kayla’s stomach. Her vision blurred and she had to concentrate hard on not throwing up or fainting. Some of her emotions must have shown on her face because Troy grabbed her elbow, supporting some of her weight. As he did so, she realized that she was swaying on her feet.

                “Are you alright, Kayla?” Hunter asked, stepping towards her. “You’ve gone as white as Luna!”

                Kayla heard his voice dimly, but she couldn’t concentrate on what he was saying. Vaguely, she heard Dahlia say, “She’s very upset about Jenna’s disappearance, Hunter.”

                “You don’t say,” Hunter said, but his attempt at sarcasm was half-hearted; he had not seen Kayla even appear tired, much less on the verge of fainting.

                Kayla bit down hard on her lip to prevent herself from collapsing. A bead of blood appeared on her mouth, but she ignored the pain; it helped her focus on the physical pain rather than the pain of Jenna’s disappearance.

                “Let me help you, Kayla,” Troy muttered to her. “I’ll take you to… wherever you need to go to find Jenna. This is creepy. I’ve never seen you have any weaknesses before and now you’ve fainted practically twice in one day.”

                Kayla’s cloud of fog disappeared almost as immediately as it had come. The pain didn’t go away, but she could not collapse into a pile of misery and do nothing while Jenna was gone. Now that Jenna’s disappearance had been confirmed, Kayla knew what she had to do. Only Jared could open the shield on the Isle of Avalon to let her out and he would only obey Arulan; she had to convince Arulan to let her leave.

                “I need to see Arulan,” Kayla told Troy, pulling herself free from him as firmly as possible and trying to sound as much like her normal self as she could.

                “Okay,” Troy said, reaching for her again. “Look, I’ll shadow-travel us to him, rather than sprint all the way up to his tower room.”

                “I’m coming too,” Dahlia said firmly.

                “No, you’re not,” Troy told her flatly.

                “You can’t stop me,” Dahlia retorted, making Hunter laugh and Troy scowl her.

                Kayla glared at her in frustration. It was true; no one could stop Dahlia from doing what she wanted to, except maybe Troy, but that was only if he hurt her deeply which was something that he would not do at the moment.

                “I’m coming too,” Hunter told them. But just as Hunter finished speaking, Mitchell called out to him, asking for some help with the training of the Magicians of Earth. With no alternative but to go with him, Hunter reluctantly left, scowling slightly in his displeasure.

                “Come on,” Kayla said impatiently, tapping her foot.

                “Time’s a wasting,” Troy said, half-amused, although his worry about Kayla’s condition was evident on his face. Something that would cause Kayla to worry so much would make the rest of them twice as anxious.