Chapter 21

Here's the next chapter! ;D I hope you guys like it! :D Please vote and comment for it! :D I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me! :D The same goes for the requests for pictures of people on the side. For now, there's a piccture of Romulus on the side. :) 

Chapter 21

                Kayla sheathed Excalibur at her waist, feeling relieved to have the sword with her once more. She disliked using the weapon unless she desperately needed to since it absorbed her powers every time she touched it with her bare hands. It was the only weapon that existed that a magician who controlled all four elements could use; it had originally belonged to Sebastian Merlin, Luna’s grandfather.

                Varmer wanted the sword; both of them knew it. He had tried to get her to talk about the limitations and abilities stored in the weapon while she had been at his castle seven months prior but she had held her tongue and refused to answer his questions. As a result, he had tortured her, but she was trained to withstand torture, especially under duress.

                Why he hadn’t taken the sword at that time was beyond her. He had probably been about to take it when they had escaped. But it still made her uneasy every time she used the sword.

                Digging around in the velvet back, Kayla ran her eye over the magical artefacts, some of which she had used before, some of which she hadn’t. The artefacts stared back up at her: the twin pendants, potion vials, a silver bangle bracelet with a matching ring that would fit around a spear. Was anything missing?

                It wasn’t the time to be checking the inventory of her items. But at the same time, if she didn’t check it now, she’d have to return to find clues some other time. Carefully, Kayla examined each artefact, noting that all the magical artefacts were around. She dug out the vials and tilted them to check the liquid within. Thanks to Jared’s memory transfer, she newly had knowledge about each potion and what they should look like.

                When she picked up the third vial, her heart sank. The gleaming yellow potion within the vial was not the poison that it should be; she could tell that it was just water and food colouring. Holding up her crystal, she checked the contents to confirm it; the solution did not sparkle like diamonds the way it should.

                Kayla swore angrily, hissing under her breath like an angry cat. It was time to go to Arulan with her suspicions; he deserved that much. Fury overwhelmed her, so much so that she didn’t pay as much attention to her surroundings as she should have. Taking the stairs two at a time, she wrenched open the door at the top of the stairs and was greeted with two less-than-friendly faces.

                Kathryn and Romulus.

                Just as Kayla thought the situation couldn’t get any worse, Troy and Dahlia appeared in her shadow, quite literally.

                Just great.

                “What are you doing here?” Romulus demanded, lifting his staff.

                Kayla grimaced inwardly. She hadn’t expected him to be on duty, especially since he had been working at the hospital wing earlier. But then again, he and Kathryn were mostly in charge of the security around the Isle of Avalon and if they were short of patrol guards, it would make sense that they were in taking extra shifts.

                “I could ask you the same question,” she retorted, gathering her wits.

                Kathryn scowled darkly at her. She was in her late forties or early fifties, old for a magician who was still at the Elemental Academy. Most of the trainees who graduated went to live in the village behind the school. Kathryn had short black hair, streaked with grey. Her eyes were also grey, but they were a dark shade, like stone. Despite her age, she still could create illusions; the illusion on the Isle of Avalon and the brambles at the immortals’ palace were her substantial creation.