Chapter 7

Here's the next chapter! :D I hope you guys like it! :D Please vote and comment for it! I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please bote and comment for it to identify yourselves to me! :D I'm on vacation right now, which is why I was able to update more quickly. :P Picture of Tamarak on the side! :D 

Chapter 7

                They reappeared in an unfamiliar room which Kayla had seen a couple of times before but was completely alien to Troy and Dahlia. Sapphire gasped, spilling an entire cup of hot chocolate into her lap. Tamarak dropped a plate of biscuits and the plate cracked on the floor. An older woman at the sink squealed in shock, jumping backwards and colliding with the sink. A little boy in the room also screamed in panic.

                “Kayla!” exclaimed Sapphire, leaping to her feet and spraying chocolate everywhere, all over the floor and the table. “What are you doing here?”

                “My goodness me,” the older woman said. “Kayla, it is good to see you. And who are these young magicians?”

                Kayla glanced quickly at them, letting go of Troy’s hand. Troy was gaping open-mouthed at the room; Dahlia’s eyes were practically popping open in shock. Neither of them appeared to be registering what the older woman had just asked.

                The circular room had a slanting roof; it was obviously not a part of the Elemental Academy. A wooden table sat in the centre of the room. Plants grew everywhere in pots and vases, crawling towards the large glass windows. Weak sunlight filtered into the room through the windows. A small kitchen stove sat in the corner with the sink in the opposite corner. Several doors were leading off from the room, all made of wood with practically no metal.

                “Where… where are we?” Troy asked in amazement. “Are we still on the Isle of Avalon?”

                Sapphire and Tamarak traded grins, both of them looking more relaxed than Kayla had ever seen them. Looks traded places with words as they exchanged mental messages. Both Troy and Dahlia turned to Kayla for answers, expectance in their eyes.

                “Not all the magicians stay at the Elemental Academy Troy,” Kayla said. “The graduates live behind the school with their families although they do train to keep in shape in case a fight occurs. But there are families here, real families with fathers and mothers, sons and daughters.”

                Kayla said this as evenly as she could, trying not to show any emotion like she normally did. Her voice did not even betray the slightest quaver as she spoke and neither Troy nor Dahlia noticed any difference, although Sapphire shot her a sidelong glance.

                “Wow,” Troy said, still looking around in amazement. “I thought that the only magicians on the island were trainees.”

                “That’s the only section you’ve seen,” Tamarak corrected.

                The older woman got out a cloth from a cupboard under the sink and got down on her hands and knees to wipe up the spilt hot chocolate. Dahlia hurried forward, flushing pink with embarrassment.

                “Sorry, let me help you,” she said politely.

                “Thank you,” she said, handing Dahlia the cloth. “Who are you?”

                “These are Troy and Dahlia,” Kayla introduced. “Troy is my half-brother and Dahlia is… um…”

                Kayla wasn’t exactly sure what to call Dahlia. They were acquaintances, but she wasn’t sure that she could call Dahlia a friend. She was extremely close to Troy; she could say that they were in a relationship, but Troy had been avoiding her since the Battle for Avalon.