Chapter 38

Okay, I promised that I would update it today, so here it is! :D I really hope that you guys like this chapter! :D Please vote and comment for it! :D I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers, so please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me! :D Does anyone want to guess what Book 5 is going to be called? There are maybe six or seven chapters left for Book 4, only!!! Picture on the side is of Sapphire on the side. :D 

Chapter 38

                Voices. Feelings. Emotions.

                Kayla's limbs felt numb and heavy, practically impossible to lift if she tried. Her eyelids refused to cooperate with being lifted; they were weighted down. Fingers probed her tender skull, making her wince and she tried to bat the hand away. Her arm was too immobile to move, but it did twitch, just the barest hint of movement.

                "She moved," a male voice said. "Should we sedate her again?"

                The speaker's voice was familiar, but not enough that Kayla could identify him. A daze of sleepiness hung over her like a cloud; it was hard to concentrate when she just wanted to return to the cloud of oblivion.

                "She's been under for the past few hours," a female voice objected. "She finally stopped flinching and screaming after the previous injection. Let's see what happens when she wakes up. I can't risk giving her an overdose."

                There was silence for a moment and then a clink as someone put something glass down on a wooden surface. Footsteps squeaked across the tiled floor; Kayla could tell by the volume of the sound that the person was walking away from her.

                There was a pause and then the female voice said, "Can you check on Raven? She's been wearing herself out a lot; I'm afraid she's going to dissolve."

                "Why don't you?" the same guy asked. "You've got a better chance of saving her life if something happens to her."

                "Listen, Jared," the female voice snapped in a sharper tone this time. "Hunter's with Raven; she probably couldn't dissolve if she tried. And I need to look after these two. Kayla's like a sister to me. You've got close friends; you remember what happened when Yasmine died, although Luna brought her back to life, and you definitely remember Marina's death. And you've been in the House of Glamours before. Don't you see that I have to be here for them?"

                There was a pause. "I'm sorry, Sapphire," Jared said thickly; he sounded close to tears. "It's just been... hard lately."

                Sapphire sighed and walked towards him. The rustle of fabric told Kayla that she put her arm around him. "I understand, Jared, I do. But everyone is messed up now and I know you're just tired of trying to stop people from freaking out and Kayla's earthquakes were not what you needed and..."

                "It's not just that," Jared said wearily. "Haven't you noticed that lately I've been holding back potions, Sapphire?"

                "What?" she whispered.

                Jared nodded. "I'm running out. Ever since I discovered my ability to create potions, I've been stockpiling them for almost two decades now. But after the Battle for Avalon, I've practically run dry. I try to make some more, really, I do, but it's so hard, especially trying to help in the hospital wing and everything. Sapphire, in maybe a month, the shield around the Isle of Avalon is going to come down and... I can't put it up again."