Chapter 18

Here's the next chapter! :D I really hope you guys like it! :D Please vote and comment for it! :D I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please vote and comment for it to identify yourselves to me! :D You can also request any pictures of the actors of the characters if there are any you want. :) Picture of Dahlia McLean on the side! :D 

Chapter 18

                The hospital wing had expanded a lot in the past six months. There were ten operating rooms in the entire operating chamber and each room had its own medicines and machines so that the healers could stay in the rooms the entire time while they performed their operations. The main hospital room was filled with the magicians who still had untreated wounds, the side wing on the same floor was filled with post-operated patients, Jared’s healing potion stock room, Sapphire’s office and the patients’ medical files room. Another wing on the floor above was occupied by magicians who had required stitched wounds. On the floor below the main hospital wing was the quarantine area where any magician with a contagious disease resided. The floor also contained the medical research room where the majority of Elliot’s technopathic machines had been installed.

                Kayla hadn’t even known that the hospital wing had spanned more than one floor. But with the new installation of Sapphire’s memories, she now knew more about the hospital wing than anyone… except for Sapphire, Dahlia and Troy.

                Moving quickly, Kayla hurried down the staircase at the far end of the hospital wing and onto the floor below. She jogged past the first few doors which led to the medical research room and on until she reached the quarantine room door. Inside, Sapphire, Troy and Dahlia stood at the side of a medical machine and none of them were wearing the surgical robes, gloves, masks or hairnets. Sapphire glanced up, caught her eye and waved her in.

                “Hi,” Kayla said breathlessly as she joined them, tugging off her surgical robe as she moved.

                “Hey, Kayla,” Troy said, relief flashing in his blue eyes. “Are you okay? You were gone by the time Dahlia and I regained consciousness.”

                “I’m good,” Kayla assured him, tossing aside her blue surgical robe. “Why are we here?”

                Sapphire gestured to the medical machine on that she, Troy and Dahlia were clustered around. “That’s Raven.”

                Kayla gulped as she saw Raven. The Magician of Air was lying still in the medical machine which was stabilizing her heartbeat rate and blood pressure. Her vital signs were projected on the screen that was hooked up to her machine. The technology that Raven was connected too looked even more complex than a regular heartbeat machine and breathing machine; she was completely dependent on the metal casing.

                Kayla swore before she could control her tongue. Dahlia flinched, but none of them said anything as they stared at the large metal machinery that was holding what once was their friend.

                “What can we do?” Troy asked in a low voice, glancing worriedly down at Raven’s barely-breathing form.            

                Sapphire sighed. “I’m going to get a blood sample and see what it looks like. I managed to heal her enough so that she’s stable for now. She’s in an enchanted sleep to prevent the poison from progressing further. I think the poison is inert, but I haven’t been able to check yet.”

                As she spoke, she dug a syringe out of a drawer from the desk in the corner. This quarantine room was more like a medical lab; it had a medical computer in the corner hooked up to the electronic microscope and a lab table for blood samples. A screen on the opposite wall was connected to the computer so that the medical images could be projected for everyone to view. The room was also sterilized to prevent viruses from escaping.