Chapter 44

This is the third-last chapter! :P Sorry for the miscalculations and all that, but I kind of needed to add another chapter otherwise there wouldn't be any suspense, haha. This one is kind of short... But I'll update the next one in like, three days or something like that. I hope you guys like it anyway! Picture of Ellie on the side. :)

Chapter 44

                With what seemed like inhuman strength, Ellie hurled Tamarak at Troy and Dahlia. Both of them dove out of the way, barely avoiding being hit. At the very last second, Benjamin caught him with telekinesis, setting him down gently on the floor.

                "You're outnumbered, Ellie," Benjamin said. "Even you, arrogant as you are, cannot possibly believe that you can defeat six armed magicians in combat. And you just lost your hostage."

                "This is a time sensitive mission," Ellie mocked. "I don't have to kill you, just capture some of you."

                "Does that mean that the portal is here?" Hunter asked in a low voice, glancing around wildly.

                "Poor Hunter," Ellie crooned. "Always alone. The only woman whom you've ever loved is married to someone else. If you joined us, you wouldn't have to worry about that, you know. You could have any number of girls at your disposal."

                "He's not going to fall for that, is he?" Benjamin whispered to Kayla, who merely smirked through her anxiety.

                "Hunter will join her when Dahlia becomes a Magician of Fire," Kayla muttered back at the same time as Hunter snapped, "I've always had plenty of girls. I don't need yours."

                "Leave him alone, Ellie," Troy warned, gripping his sword tightly. "You don't need him."

                It was Ellie's turn to smirk. "Too true. He is dispensable. But some of you aren't."

                She moved forward like a lioness stalking her prey. For a moment, she looked like she was targeting Benjamin and Kayla, but then she snapped her head around to leer at Troy and Dahlia, both of whom tensed up in front of Tamarak.

                "Leave them alone," Kayla warned, inching forward at Ellie's distraction, looking for an opportunity to strike.

                "I don't think so," Ellie snarled and then lunged at them with her spear outstretched.

                "Get back!" Kayla yelled, throwing her spear.

                Ellie twisted in mid-air to avoid the projectile; Benjamin grabbed at her with telekinesis but she flung up her shield. For a moment, it looked like the Magician of Earth had won, but then she froze, struggling visibly to maintain her shield. Benjamin clenched his teeth, forcing it back with his mind.

                "Go," he grunted, breathing heavily.

                "What about you?" Dahlia demanded, helping Tamarak to his feet; he was a little dazed and unsteady.

                "I'll be fine!" he panted. "Dahlia, Jenna's in your cell. Hurry up! I can't hold her back forever!"

                Hunter tugged Dahlia's arm to pull her out of the room. Glancing back, her eyes met Troy's. For a split second, she hesitated. Then he mouthed one word: Go. Hunter yanked at her arm again and she allowed him to pull her out of the room, Tamarak hot on her heels.