Chapter 10

Here's the next chapter! :D I hope you guys like it, and I'm sorry that it's a little short, but anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it and keep voting and commenting for the chapters, please and thank you! ;) I hope to be able to update it more frequently that I have been and thanks for all of you for being so patient. :D Picture of Kayla and Benjamin on the side. ;D

Chapter 10

                Kayla stomped across the ground as she left Coral’s house; she had been holding back her bad temper for far too long and it was finally being released. Even though she normally tried to maintain an expressionless and emotionless attitude, she had given up with the façade, at least around Troy and Dahlia for both of them knew her far too well to believe in her disguise.

                Behind the, the duo scrambled after her, trying to keep up with her fast pace. Desperate to get away from them while she was feeling vulnerable, Kayla broke into a run. She would have greater endurance than both of them, she knew, but she kind of doubted that they would give up that easily. Even though Magicians of Earth were generally more stubborn than all other kinds of magicians, she knew that both of them could be equally obstinate to her, sometimes more so.

                “Slow down!” Dahlia panted, struggling to keep up with Kayla; not only was Kayla trained to survive in the human world, including in endurance running, but Kayla was also taller than her and had longer legs.

                Troy, however, was managing to keep up with her better. He was almost as tall as she was despite the fact that he was only fourteen and she was forever immortal at eighteen years old. His legs pounded on the ground behind her but she knew that if she wanted to lose him, she eventually could for his breathing was already ragged and uneven.

                “Why are you running away from us?” Troy snapped, between gasping breaths. “It won’t solve your problem!”

                Kayla felt rage flare up within her as Troy’s words struck home. Unfortunately for him, the anger just made her pour on the speed and keep running. Troy and Dahlia followed her, struggling to keep up with her pace. She ran on and on, down the main path away from Coral’s house and through the village where all the graduates from the Elemental Academy stayed with their families and friends.

                When Kayla and the others had first reached the Isle of Avalon, each of them had been separated into groups and had been assigned a guide. Kayla and Tamarak’s guide had been Sapphire; she had lived on the Isle of Avalon since she was born, for twelve years, and knew the place well. Sapphire had brought Kayla and Tamarak to meet her family: Jules, Coral and Wes. Jenna had been there too. But Kayla had visited the family regularly, with and without Sapphire.

                Neither Troy nor Dahlia had been there before and Kayla did not want them to get lost, even though she knew that Troy could shadow-travel them back to the Elementary if they did. Because of that reason, she let them stay within sight of her. Running was a good way to work off steam. As long as she was going and going, she could not think about all her problems, at least until she stopped the mad dash.

                When the Elemental Academy came into view, Kayla slowed up her pace so that she could talk to Troy and Dahlia. Although she regretted having to involve them, she knew that she would have to include Troy at least. She doubted that he would let them have an adventure without Dahlia although their recent arguments might change that. But she also knew that Dahlia would not let them go on a mission without her unless Arulan specifically ordered it.

                Finally, Troy and Dahlia caught up with her, both of them gasping for oxygen and breathing hard. Kayla kept jogging to cool down, rather than stop altogether and collapse. Unable to get enough oxygen to talk, both Troy and Dahlia followed her lead.