Chapter 33

Here's the next update! :D Once again, I am really sorry about the delay in the update; I got sick as well, so it was a really bad time... Anyway, I hope you guys like this chapter and please vote and comment for it to identify yourselves to me! :D The picture on the side is of Raven. :D 

Chapter 33

                Luna stepped out from behind the curtain at the makeshift stage, trying to still her shaking hands. Sweat beaded her palms and she tried not to show how nervous she was; she was not used to speaking in front of so many people: magicians and Moon Children alike. Her vision, which she had painstakingly revealed to Raven and Sapphire, had left them all in shock; both of them had promised not to reveal her secret.

                Taking a deep breath, Luna glanced out at all the rebels, most of them whispering behind their hands and muttering to one another. A quick look near the front of the row confirmed that Kayla, Troy and Dahlia were there, supporting her in her cause. All of them looked grim and determined, albeit anxious.

                Behind Luna, her entourage of bodyguards followed her, staying close enough to protect her in half-a-second, but far enough away that they didn’t gather any attention from her. Both Io and Europa stood there, not because they were instructed to, but because they genuinely cared about her wellbeing.

                Throat dry, Luna cleared her throat, gaining a few curious glances from her audience. She inhaled a nervous, shaky breath, determined not to show them how worried she was, and began.

                “This is the time that I’m supposed to give a gentle, heart-warming speech about how we must be allies,” Luna said loudly, cutting through everyone else’s conversations and gaining their attention. “But I’m not.”

                A stunned silence fell over the group; Troy and Dahlia exchanged anxious looks and Kayla dug her teeth into her bottom lip. Closing her eyes briefly, Luna willed herself not to be sick. There was no going back now.

                Luna met eyes with several Moon Children and then made eye contact with some magicians, determined to show that although she was the candidate for queen with the Moon Children, she was equally a magician as well as a Moon Child. Some of them glared at her, others returned her gaze with curious interest.

                “Our alliance is shaky,” Luna continued. “All of us here know that, because an attempt was made on my life. Despite all our magic, all our abilities, we were unable to discover who the assassin was and if he is still on the island. That has made many of us doubt one another, but we should not let this spy, this good-for-nothing creature, break us apart from our core! Granted, we have no idea who he is, but that does not mean that we let down our guard and let him divide us. We should unite against him, to show one body, one spirit, that he cannot defeat.”

                Low murmurs sounded from the crowd; Luna gripped her skirts with her hands, hidden under the folds of the fabric. She continued, determined that they should hear her out.

                “I know that neither party wants to break out alliance,” she said. “Even though you may not trust one another or you believe that this truce can overcome millennia of animosity, we have our first chance of peace ever. Despite this, we cannot truly have peace while the Fire Immortal reigns over us. The Moon Children have never had any war with him, but he has never done anything to gain our respect. He has continually downtrodden us and treated us like garbage.”

                The voices in the crowd grew louder, adding to Luna’s nerves. Several of them were openly talking to their neighbours now; she could tell that they were uncertain about where she was heading with her speech.