Chapter 25

So I promised that I would try to updated on Christmas Day and here is the chapter! :D I really hope you guys like it and even though there's a kind of lack of action right now, I'll try to speed up the story and get to the more exciting bits fast. :) I still hope you guys like it and a very merry Christmas to everyone, loyal readers, fans etc. Please vote and comment as a Christmas present to me! :P I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me as well as being my Christmas present, haha. :P Anyway, the picture on the side is of Kayla. :) 

Chapter 25

                Fear flared up within Kayla, but Dahlia’s harsh words had stunned her too much to respond. Fortunately for her, Troy stepped up to her defence, his blue eyes flashing with fire, much like Dahlia’s were, they were a shade or two darker.

                “Kayla is not the spy, Dahlia,” he warned, a dark edge in his voice.

                Warmth flooded through Kayla’s body at Troy’s words. It meant a lot to her, more than he knew that he would stand up for her and that he had such faith in her beyond what his sort-of-girlfriend believed.

                Dahlia flushed, her cheeks going bright pink. For a second, Kayla thought that she might back down, but then she clenched her fists and Kayla recalled that Dahlia had Magician of Earth genes in her too, genes that made her as stubborn and unyielding as a rock.

                “Well, you were pretty willing to believe that she was the spy before we shadow-travelled to see what she was doing in the tunnels under the school,” Dahlia retorted.

                Troy bristled at Dahlia’s comment and then quailed slightly under Kayla’s accusatory stare. “That was before I heard her story about the artefacts and your parents,” he replied in a tight voice.

                Dahlia glowered back at him. “I just pointed out the loopholes in her story and now you’re saying that you believe her despite said loopholes?” she demanded.

                “Well, you’re the one who can supposedly tell when people are lying,” Troy sniped back. “You were so easy to believe that Romulus isn’t the spy and now you’re telling me that you believe Kayla is the spy even though you’ve spent more time with her than with him and she’s saved your sorry life dozens of times?”

                Kayla winced, feeling messed up inside. Guilt tore at her, guilt that Troy and Dahlia were fighting over something as simple as her innocence and also rage, anger that Dahlia could even contemplate that she was the spy.

                There was enough accusation in Troy’s voice to make Dahlia shield away from his words, to backpedal and force her on the defensive side.

                Deep down though, Kayla knew that Dahlia wasn’t the spy. It simply wasn’t in the Magician of Water’s nature to betray them like that; she knew that the other girl was far too loyal, far too honest and far too kind to think of doing something like that. But the tension in the room was picking up; the spy had been alive far too long and remained hidden inside their ranks, enough to make them start doubting one another.

                “Enough,” Arulan said firmly before Dahlia and Troy could start bickering again. “The reason all four of you are in this room is because I trust you, all of you. And if you want to stay here, you might want to start trusting each other.”

                Easier said than done, Kayla thought wryly. There was tension between all of them and things that all of them knew and didn’t know: Romulus knew all of Kayla’s secrets and it made her feel exposed, Troy was hiding something from Dahlia and it made her doubt her, Kayla was still concealing truths from them and that made them suspicious of her while the lingering doubt that she or Dahlia or any Magician of Earth might be the spy made them all wary of one another.