Chapter 13

Here's the next chapter! Sorry for the major delay; I had school exams which were really tough! But I hope you guys like this chapter and please vote and comment for it! :D I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me. Picture of Kayla, Troy and Benjamin on the side. :) 

Chapter 13

                “Kayla? Kayla?”

                Her head jerked upright as she snapped out of her daze. Glancing up quickly, she met Hunter’s familiar brown eyes, filled with concern. Her gaze flickered back down to her full plate of food and then around to see Cedric staring at her too.

                “Are you okay?” Hunter asked in a low voice. “You kind of spaced out.”

                Kayla nodded bleakly, trying to remember how she had got there. She had been lost in a swirling haze of memories, thoughts and worries about Jenna and the House of Glamours, so much so that she had forgotten where she was.

                “Do you need to eat something?” Hunter asked, leaning towards her from across the table.

                “I’m fine,” Kayla muttered irritably.

                Hunter raised an eyebrow at her harsh tone, but he let it slide.

                Troy had taken the four of them down to dinner: Dahlia, Tamarak, Arulan and Kayla. The dining hall was large, with four long tables for each of the four kinds of magicians. Kayla was sitting with Hunter and Cedric at the Earth table; all the magicians sat at their respective tables.

                “Anyway, I was asking where have you been all day,” Cedric repeated, picking up a chicken drumstick from the platter on the table. “We were collecting spears all day and we haven’t seen you since morning. Lucky you; you got out of collecting those weapons in the blazing sun!”

                Kayla thought quickly. She didn’t want to lie to Cedric and Hunter; she had told so many fibs already to all of her friends. But all the same, she didn’t want Cedric to know about Jenna’s existence: Troy, Dahlia, Hunter and Arulan had found out that day. Sapphire and Tamarak had known for a very long time and judging by Luna’s divination powers, she also knew about Jenna.

                “I was with Troy and Dahlia,” she finally said.

                Hunter glanced sharply at her. She had not lied; it was true, but what she had done all day was her secret.

                “Well, did you hear that someone tried to assassinate Luna?” Cedric asked eagerly. “The Moon Children are furious.”

                “You shouldn’t sound so excited,” Kayla scolded him, grabbing a drumstick for herself from the platter; she had not eaten since breakfast that morning and she was starving. “She’s your friend and you sound thrilled that she was attacked!”

                Cedric rolled his eyes at her. “I’m not happy that she’s been attacked, obviously,” he retorted. “And she’s more than a friend; she’s like my younger sister. I just wondered if you’d heard about it.”

                “Yeah, Troy brought Dahlia and me to Luna’s tent,” Kayla said through a large mouthful of chicken and chips.

                “She’s fine, right?” Cedric asked, his eyebrows creasing together. “None of the Moon Children let any of use near the tent; they wouldn’t let any of us in to see how she is.”