Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Edward waded his way from the War Room, his eyes red and the bags he grew long. Edward had not slept for what felt like several weeks, though it had only been two days. There was so much work to be done that he couldn't afford to sleep. The majority of Hoja City's defensive population would be, or are already, going on important excursions and with the lack of manpower Edward needed to reorganize the defensive structure of the City. Kuromorimine was the school to have the largest population still in the city. Half of both Uncle Sam and Pravda are preparing to leave for the rendezvous with the Association farces in the north. Saunders, St. Gloriana, Virginia, and Montana all left to deal with the Gustav Cannon yesterday. If they still haven't run into each other Edward would call it luck. He had set the four schools on a little goose chase to specifically make the four schools meet up. He didn't lie to them, not exponentially at least. Sergeant Gary Ramirez gave actual intel on the Federation defensive line that cut the association off from the rest of the northern sectors. Plus the heavy foot traffic around certain parts of the sector gave off a great deal of information. Edward knew the location of the Cannon already but opted to let the four schools find out themselves. This would give them a sense of accomplishment and something they all achieved together, and that's what Saunders and Montana needed right now. The start of a bond.

Now Edward was exhausted. He had finished all his work he assigned himself to be done today and decided that now would be the best time to catch up on sleep. But unfortunately he would be cut short as he noticed Samuel walking away from a section of the base he had started to attend to normally. Logic gave way to curiosity and Edward walked over to Samuel with questions.

"Sam. How's she doing?" Edward asked.

"She's, quiet. She seems to be taking the news of her condition rather well, but I really think that she needs closer support." Samuel said.

"Meaning what?" Edward asked.

"I think a visit from a friend would be the next best course of action. If you aren't to busy you could stop by and see her yourself. I know from one glance you need sleep and I wont stop you if that's what you need more, I could always get Erika away from patrol for a few hours." Samuel said.

Edward knew what Samuel was doing. Erika was just as rigorously focused on the new defensive plans as he was. Possibly even more. Samuel saying he'll get her to check on Maho would be saying that Edward himself gave Samuel permission to get her off patrol. Erika would go to Maho no doubts there, but then she would immediately complain to Edward about how she needed to be out there while the rest of the Joint High School Force was away. Edward saw through the non-visible sly grin on Samuels face and chose to fall for his game.

"I still go another hour or two in me before I pass out. Might as well." Edward said patting Samuel on the back as he started his way towards the girls quarters.

Maho's room was not far from the entrance. She was only forty yards or so away. Edward made his way through the building passing a pair of Kuromorimine girls as he made the final turn. The girls paid him no mind. They knew why he was here, and no one would really have a need to question why.

Edward reached Maho's door, raised his hand, and nocked three times. He waited for some seconds before a response came.

"It's open." Maho said through the door.

Edward opened the door and walked inside shutting the door closed afterwards. He glanced at Maho laying down facing the wall, her back towards him. Edward took a chair by the table to his left and placed it down by Maho's bed. There he just sat waiting for her to speak.