Chapter 10: The Breakfast

Breakfast is always the best time for something juicy, sweet and fresh - it just feels like the right way to open the day. There's no right way, though, when it comes to choosing the fruit.

-Yotam Ottolengh

Leila Fiorenza's POV

"Good morning, everyone." I greeted the ongoing stiff breakfast on my second day here in the magnificent estate of Leandro Salazar, my husband.

I hide my triumph when everyone having breakfast in the formal dining area looked in my direction. Lucia raised an eyebrow as she look at me while Natalia, the sister-in-law, shot a venomous glare in my path. Leandro glance briefly in my direction before leisurely sipping his coffee with a resigned sigh.

"Sorry, I'm late," I murmured as I took the vacant chair beside Lucia far away from Leandro who sat at the head of the table.

"Your place at the dinner table is right here beside me, Leila." The booming voice of the arrogant count sounded in the silent dining room.

I smiled sweetly in his direction. "I'm fine here, darling."

"You are my wife," He pointed out firmly, his eyes held anger early this morning. "You should sit here beside me."

I eyed the elegantly dress widow sitting near him. I smiled at him harmoniously as the maid started to put the plate in front of me. "I want to sit beside Lucy and have a nice chat with her over breakfast, my darling."

Leandro slammed his palm on the breakfast table that made other people inside the dining room jump in surprise at his outburst. "Sit beside me."

"Lean—"

"One." He started to count, his eyes never left mine.

I sighed and stood in my chair reluctantly. "All right, fine," I muttered softly, as I took the vacant chair on his right side. "You don't have to stress yourself over such a small matter. Goodness, who put a stick in your rear, darling?"

Lucia choked a laugh while widow hissed. My husband of two days ignored my jibe and continues to glower in my direction. "No one told you how to dress for breakfast here in the estate, mi esposa?"

I smiled dazzlingly in his glowering face. "Actually, Lucia informed me yesterday but the thing is I don't care. You should know by now that I don't follow rules." I looked at my favored outfits. "Besides, what's wrong with my clothes?"

He gave me a thunderous looked that made his younger sister cringed with fear. "What's wrong with your clothes?" He repeated my question in disbelief. "You wore very short shorts that can be considered as revealing for a Condesa and your t-shirt was ruthlessly cut midriff."

"Don't you like it?" I asked innocently as I study my appearance. "I thought you said before that you like seeing my belly bottom ring during our breakfast...?" I threw a smirked in his sister-in-law's direction before settling my gaze back to him. "...in our love nest before?"

Lucia gasped at my announcement. The widow merely tightened her grip to the silver utensils she's been using—probably debating if that knife could kill me right now. She shot me a venomous glare while Leandro pinched the bridge of his nose.

Serves you right, I thought with satisfaction. That's what happened when someone irritates Leila Fiorenza. I would not let them push me over in this house. It's time for them to know now that I'm forced to live here they need to expect some changes in this house.

"Don't worry," I told him cheerfully, as placed my table napkin in my lap. "Father, always scold me on how I dress during our gruesome meal back at home. I'm used to the reproach on how I suppose to dress." I smiled at him sweetly. "So you have to endure the way I dressed, my husband."