Chapter 31: The Aftermath

In the aftermath of any war or genocide, healing and reconciliation are ultimate aspirations.

-Janine di Giovanni

Leandro Salazar's POV

I held the hand of Leila while silently praying. It's been hours since they brought her here in her private room and she's still unconscious. The only indication I knew that she's alive was her slow and steady breathing.

My heart repeatedly crashing at her current state, several machines attached to her body while her face was as white as the linen sheets. I was in agony seeing her like this. If only I could turn back the time and...

"Stop worrying," The soothing voice of her twin sister sounded behind me.

Laila Pallis was with me looking after Leila. Her husband was outside chasing off the paparazzi that wanted to get information about my wife's accident. While their formidable father announced a while ago that he will talk to someone about the reason for Leila's accident. He wants to know the truth. Honestly, I want to come with him but I cannot leave Leila like this.

"She's a strong woman." Leila's twin sister had said. "And a stubborn too. You don't need to worry about her. Once the medicine they gave her wear off I'm pretty sure she regain her consciousness by then. Why don't you take a rest first? I will look after Leila. You look like you need some sleep, Your Excellency."

I shook my head, focusing my gaze intently on my wife. I'm not leaving her side ever again. "I'm okay. You're the one who needs to rest, Señora. I believed you are pregnant. You should take some rest. I will look after my wife."

"Are you sure?" She asked kindly.

I nodded, looking briefly in her direction. She stared at me for a moment whatever she sees in my expression convinced her that I would be fine here. She picked up her handbag and stood on the sofa. "All right. Nikos just texted me he said that the hospital already tightened their security so rest assured that no paparazzo would intrude. He's waiting for me at the entrance. We're going back tomorrow morning."

I nodded again, looking at my wife's sleeping form. I kissed her hand tenderly. ". Thank you for everything, Señora."

"I'm the one who should express my gratitude towards you." Laila Pallis said cheerfully. "Thank you for not giving up on my twin sister. I know she's quite a handful sometimes but..."

I smiled at my wife lovingly. "I can handle her just fine."

Leila's twin moved closer to the bed and smile down at her before kissing Leila's forehead. "Hurry and wake up, Leila. Your husband is here. You said you missed him, right? He's here to fetch you. He also finally received Patri's infamous warm welcome awhile ago."

My throat constricted at their special bond. My wife is a lucky woman to have a twin like this one. She adored her sister anyone with eyes could see it. She strongly believed that my wife would resurface sooner or later when part of me feared that she would be in a deep coma. She muttered something in the Sicilian dialect to Leila's ear which I don't understand before giving me a secretive smile.

I want to know what she said to her twin but my instinct told me not to ask anything. I have a feeling that it's all about me.

"I'm off." She said with laughter in her rich green eyes. She's the refined version of my wife. But I would not trade my wife for anything in this world. She's the woman I love and therefore I intend to keep her with me for the rest of our lives.

Once Laila was out of the room, I focused my gaze on my wife. I kissed her palm affectionately. "Please come back here with me Leila and let me know that you are truly okay. I cannot live without you, mi esposa."