Chapter 28: The Parents

We never know the love of a parent till we become parents ourselves.

-Henry Ward Beecher

Leandro Salazar's POV

"Diego," I said to my long-time personal bodyguard without even lifting my eyes on the paper I've been reading on my study table. In a few minutes, I need to travel to the city for the monthly board meeting with my executives. "Have you notice if my wife is already awake? I want to talk to her before I leave."

"I believed that she's not around, Your Excellency."

I finally managed to drag my eyes from the documents in my hands. I stared at him unblinking. "What do you mean that 'she's not around'?"

Diego looked straight into my eyes. "I think as we speak the condesa is now in her hometown in Sicily, sir."

"What do you mean?" I asked slowly. By now my hands itched to kill him with my bare hands as he calmly told me the things that I don't think I follow. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself.

It seemed that my bodyguard was amused at the thought that I haven't killed him yet after informing me that Leila was not here in the estate. "Last night when you went to the guest house the condesa decide to go home. I offered my service to drive her to the airport."

My heart sank at his words. Leila left. She left me again. The pain I've experienced the day I found out that she's not in my house in Spain was the same this time but the only difference was that time I felt anger now all I could feel is anxiousness. "Why didn't you tell me about this last night? Why didn't you inform me that she left Spain already?"

"I thought you were busy talking with your sister-in-law, Your Excellency." He answered in a matter-of-fact. "Besides, you assigned me as her temporary personal bodyguard and driver. I thought it was my duty to drive her wherever she wants to go."

"Even if you know the fact that my wife is leaving me-what? For good?" I asked calmly. I don't know why I'm having this conversation with him so peacefully. Like we were just discussing the weather outside when I should be trashing him within the inch of his life. "What if she went to another country to hide from me?"

Diego permitted himself to smile a little. "Rest assured, sir. I didn't leave the airport until I was sure that she took a plane bound to Sicily."

"Do you think your reassurance will do any good on what I feel right now?" I asked, ignoring the pain inside my heart right at this moment. "What madness had possessed her again to run away again from me? Why didn't she confront me if she doesn't like something? Like she used to do all the time."

"Do you want me to inform your pilot to have your plane ready, sir?" My bodyguard asked casually. Like his expecting me to follow Leila as soon as possible. My instinct told me to do just that but... "Your Excellency...?"

I looked at Diego who was patiently waiting for my instruction. And at that moment I knew my decision. "No," I said firmly, as I stood from the leather chair. "You don't have to do that, Diego. I will not go to Sicily today. I need to go. I'm already late for my board meeting. You don't need to drive me to the city today. I will drive myself."

"B-but...sir."

I didn't wait for his reply as I march off my study room. I took a deep breath while descending the staircase. I don't know if my heart could bear this pain. But I hope like hell I can survive this meeting without losing my sanity at the thought that Leila left me again for the only reason she only knew.

I jumped to my Bugatti Veyron and speed out to get away from the estate as fast as I can. I need to go to the city to clear my head. So much happened back in the estate that I think I couldn't handle. I loosened my tie because I think I can't breathe properly. All I need to do is goes to my office and buried myself in the mountain of work until I forget all about this mess.