Chapter 25: The Disagreement

Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.

-Robert Quillen

Leila Fiorenza's POV

"Good evening, Conde!" I greeted happily as I enter the bedroom I now share with Leandro. From the look on his face when he turned around to look at me I knew at that moment that he was waiting for me longer than I anticipated.

He crossed his arms in the middle of his chest and silently interrogating me with his intense gold eyes. "How's your trip in town?"

His tone was accusing and I could see from his expressive eyes that he's preventing himself from showing his anger. I frowned at myself. Did I come home late? No, this was the usual time I came home after visiting his mother. I never miss the dinner here at the estate since secretly meeting his mother. So I smiled regally in his direction. "It's lovely, darling."

"Really?" His mouth twitched with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I noticed that from your trip in town lately, I haven't seen you with a shopping bag with you. I wonder what seems to be the problem, Leila."

Uh-oh, busted. I told myself silently as I prevent myself from cringing in front of him. I smiled again at him this time I could feel that my smile was quite off than the first one. I decided to lie because I don't want to start an argument with him tonight. I'm really tired from my trip...

"Leila...?"

"Oh, yes..." I said with a fixed smile on my face. "No shops had caught my attention yet. Their designs are all the same."

"Is that so?" He asked without a hint of sincerity in his voice. I decided that I have enough of his accusing stare so I looked away from him as I started to strip off my clothes for a quick shower. I was about to reach the en suite bathroom when I heard him spoke again. "Poor you."

I threw him a foul look. "What's with the accusing tone, Leandro?"

He shrugged casually. I couldn't miss the way his eyes stayed on my half-naked state before settling their scorching gaze into my face. "I just wonder if you were just really spending your day shopping in town or you have some other business that you weren't telling me."

My heart galloped ridiculously fast in my chest at his words. Is he starting to doubt my alibi? I guess I need to stay here in the estate for few days to cool down his suspicion until I find a way for him to see his mother unleashing his anger.

I laughed heartily in his direction while silently calming my racing heart I couldn't let him suspect anything now. "Your imagination is running wild again, Leandro. I don't have any idea what are you talking about."

"Let me clarify some things here, my lovely wife." He said pleasantly but there was a silent threat at his words. "What I hate most is when someone doing something behind my back. I'm sure you will remember that piece of advice, Leila."

"Rest assured..." I answered him calmly, placing my right hand on my chest. "...that your advice is duly noted here. Now if you don't have anything more to say I'd like to take a shower first before dinner."

I was about to walk inside the bathroom when he gripped my upper arm tightly. I gasped when I saw him he's instantly on my side. His eyes glowed like a hot liquid of gold. "Keep in mind never to play with fire, wife. You do know what can happen to naughty girls playing fire. They get burnt by it."

I knew he's giving me a fair warning about my secretive trip on town. Now that he started to doubt me I need to be careful with my actions now. Because I knew Leandro cannot be fooled for that long. He's a sharp man and ruthless too when he thought it's needed. At this time that his interest was already picked by my trips in town, I knew that be vigilant. I need a new tactic.