Chapter 29: The Husband

The relationship between husband and wife should be one of closest friends.

-B. R. Ambedkar

Nikos Pallis's POV

I was in a deep conversation with Lucca at the side of the spacious living room of Marco Orsini when a pair of arms swung on each of our shoulders and a man spoke behind us. So much for our luck tonight, he was supposed to entertain his visitors than exert effort to bother us.

"It makes me emotional seeing my best buddies are here to celebrate my birthday with me. It feels like it's only yesterday when we first met in Harvard. Thank you for the years of friendship, guys." Marco said overdramatically.

"Save your speech later, Orsini."

He removed his arms on our shoulder and faced us with such an innocent look. He pouted in my direction like a five-year-old child. "I'm so mad at you right now, Nick. You should bring your wife here. I miss her terribly."

I glared at him openly. "I told you, she's in Sicily. I already said her regret that she couldn't attend your birthday party. She wants to spend some time with her father."

He frowned at me like a child. "That strict man she fondly calls as her father will not die anytime soon. Laila should come here. My birthday is just once a year she can visit her father whenever she wants. My heart aches not seeing my little one. I impromptu plan something that I think I would be enjoying watching."

I sighed deeply. I sorely regret my decision to come here. I should have stayed in Sicily with my wife and with the company of her family. But she forced me to come here. I don't want to leave her after her twin told her the truth about their mother's death. Laila cried in my arms like a child. She idolized her mom so much so it breaks her heart to learn that their mother died because was consumed by her jealousy. "What are you planning?" I asked curiously, trying to focus my attention on this party. "Don't forget that she's pregnant with my child. I don't want them to come in any harm that's why I told her she should stay in Sicily. I don't like her traveling too much."

He nodded like an idiot. Seriously, most of the time I wondered why I become such friends with a man like him? "Yeah, you are correct. By the way, how's her wayward twin?"

"How should I know?" I replied, remembering that Leila doesn't want anyone to know yet that she's in Sicily. "We left her in Spain, remember?"

"You don't need to be an ass, amico."

"Will the two of you stop?" Lucca interrupted our growing debate. "People starting to look in our direction. You're going to make yourselves fool in any moment now."

Marco shook his head and stared at the duke with a resigned face. "If this friend of yours doesn't have a prickly personality we should get along just fine." When I was about to retort, he added. "Oh, I remember the reason why I approach you guys."

"Not to ruin our night?" I asked acidly.

He scowled in my direction. "Of course, not. You see, when I opened my door before the party starts I found a lost puppy on my porch. My heart melts at the sight of that poor soul. I think we should help him. He seems to lose something valuable."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked, frowning in his direction.

Marco eyed me dryly. "So slow, Nick." He shook his head in resignation. "I don't know how to explain this. Maybe you should just follow me to my library I put him here. As a philanthropist, I highly recommend we should help him."

"What the hell he's talking about?" I asked the duke in disgust who remained silent. I think this birthday celebrant was playing pranks on us.

Lucca shrugged, looking wistfully at his wife not far from us talking animatedly to Marco's wife. "I don't have any idea." He answered almost absently. Great, seeing him looking at his wife makes me miss my wife terribly. Coming here was a bad idea. After this party, I will fly back to Sicily.