Chapter 1: The Mistake

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

-Albert Einstein

Leandro Salazar's POV

"Please, let me return to my husband. I'm begging you."

I stared at the beautiful woman sitting in my bed with tears shimmering in her eyes but bravely look at me. She's still beautiful since the last time I saw her. But there's something about her that had changed since she marry that Greek man. The fire in her eyes was replaced by coolness in their depth.

I looked at her straight in the eyes and said. "You are mine, Laila."

The naked shock was visible in her pretty emerald eyes. I don't know why she's so scared of me when we know each other more intimately than people could imagine. "I told you. I don't have any idea who are you, Signore. I'm sure this is just kind of mistake."

"This conversation is starting to get tiring, querida," I told her dryly as I walked near the window and stared outside. I don't want to see the pain in her eyes. Does she really love that man or is she just after his wealth?

"At least, let me call my husband." Laila had bargained. "I know he must be going crazy right this moment looking for me."

I stared at her impatiently. I'm starting to lose my patience here. I moved in his direction briskly. "Don't you get it? You are mine, Laila. You are not going back to your husband. You are going to stay here with me. I will never release you." I stared deep into her eyes. "Maybe a few years we will send a divorce paper to that man so you can be free from him."

Raged swirl in her green eyes. "I don't want to be free from him. I love him!"

"How touching," I remarked acidly. "I thought you said before that you are not the type of woman who will fall in love."

"I told you—" She stopped when we heard the telephone sounded on the bedside table. Only a few people knew my landline number I want to ignore the phone call but then I thought that the call might be a good distraction to my hearted conversation with this exasperating woman.

I picked up the receiver as I glance briefly in her direction. "Hello?"

"It's me." The familiar voice of Laila sounded on the other line. I instinctively shot my gaze back to the woman sitting bravely in the bed. "You got the wrong woman. That's my twin sister. You are looking for me, right? Please don't hurt my twin I will come to Spain right this moment. Wait for me, Leandro."

Just what the hell is going on here? I stared at the woman who is in my room looking at me with such pain in her eyes. "Who are you?"

"I'm Laila Pallis."

I couldn't believe this. What's happening here? Who is this woman looking at me silently at this moment? "You are Laila Fiorenza, correct?"

She nodded regally, wiping the tears in her cheeks. "Yes, that's my maiden name."

"Do you have a twin?"

"Yes."

I wiped my face with the palm of my hands in frustration for the mistake. I still couldn't understand what's happening here. "What's the name of your twin?"

"Leila."

That woman she played me for a fool, I thought furiously. She gave her twin sister's name during our affair. That's why I chased the wrong twin in the process. I thought that her real name was Laila Fiorenza. I glanced at the woman staring at me in confusion. I tried to smile apologetically in her direction. Her husband might kill me now. "It seems that I need to apologize for the mistake, Señora Pallis."