Chapter 32: The Proposal

Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own.

-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Leandro Salazar's POV

"...all right. Everything runs smoothly, then? Thank you for your help." I disconnected the phone call. It's been two weeks since Leila's released from the hospital. Since then I have stayed here in Sicily with her and her family in their palatial home.

From the moment I met her father in the hospital hallways, I learned that he wasn't a friendly kind of person. No wonder he got such a reputation. He was the kind of man that would make you feel insecure and worthless while politely talking at you.

Minutes after silently interrogating me, I felt like a schoolboy again than my current status as one of the most powerful men in Spain. Seriously, it was the kind of experience that I don't wish to repeat in my lifetime. Never before had I felt unconfident talking to someone.

Nikos Pallis told me that he got the same reception he received when he's talking to Cesare Fiorenza. I didn't know if I would pity him or laugh at his fate. Because whether I like it or not I would probably suffer the same thing.

Like during the time of breakfast he would ask you random questions for the sake of conversation about your business then he would start giving snide remarks and start hinting again how can a man even distinguish the woman he loves from her twin sister-that, I stupidly abducted the wrong woman.

Seriously, if it wasn't for Leila's rehabilitation we would not be staying any longer here. Now I understand why Pallis couldn't wait to get away from our father-in-law. Cesare was so welcoming like a barren wasteland.

"If I didn't know better I would assume that you are hiding again from my father, darling." I didn't notice my wife already stood before me.

"How did you know that I was here?"

She rolled her pretty green eyes. "Seriously, this is your favorite spot in our garden. How did I know? Simple. Because this bench was hidden from the view inside the palace, away from Patri's eyes, correct?"

"How's your therapy?" I asked, ignoring her taunts. "Where are your crutches?"

She pouted like a child while sitting next to me on the wooden bench. "I don't need them anymore. They were just hindrances for me so I threw them away."

I scowled at her. "Why would you do something stupid such as that? You need those crutches so your leg will heal faster."

She scowled back at me. "I do have such sturdy bones they will heal in no time. Plus, I learned from a certain someone if you want your sprain to heal faster all you need is to throw your crutches in a garbage bin. Does this sound familiar to you, darling?"

I pointedly ignore her and enjoy our surroundings. Such a beautiful morning it makes me excited for the event tonight. I must admit that I'm quite nervous. I hope everything runs smoothly according to the plan.

"Hey, why are you ignoring me?" Leila demanded when I didn't answer her. "What's wrong? Something bothering you? Is there something wrong in Spain? Maybe your lengthy stay here causes you so much trouble in your company or the estate."

"Everything is fine back in Spain, Leila. Don't worry, about it." I smiled at her, as I tenderly touched her cheeks briefly. I glanced at my wristwatch. "Why don't we hit the town now, mi corazón?"

Her eyes slightly widened. "As in, right now?"

"Sì." I answered with a smile. "Unless you have other plans, of course."