Chapter 22: The Honeymoon

The honeymoon is the only period when a woman isn't trying to reform her husband.

-Evan Esar

Rafe Moretti's POV

I stared at my window sightlessly early in the morning. I think my brain would explode at any moment if I continue to search for a possible solution for our family's problem. The proud Moretti family of Ragusa, Sicily was officially ruined and bankrupt from a bad investment made by my father.

We almost sold everything we owned just to pay for our debt. I think this house was the only thing left for us along with the vacation house in Palermo.

I rubbed my face with my palm as I sighed deeply. Even the newspapers started to write about our financial ruin. To add disgrace from our family's name the gossip columns hadn't stop writing speculation why Leila runaway from the eve of our wedding. Some papers even speculated that it has something to do with our family's bankruptcy that's why she canceled our wedding.

Even the people who we thought our good friends started to ignore us because of our current financial standing in society.

A light knocked on my bedroom door dragged me out of my reverie. I sighed again as turn my back from the window and stared at the door. "Come in."

The young maid peeked on my door. "Excuse me, sir. You have a visitor waiting for you in the receiving area."

I crossed my hands in the middle of my chest. "Send him away. I don't want to talk to anyone at this moment. If someone looks for me again tell them that I'm not available—or better yet, tell them that I'm out of the country and you don't know when will I come back."

"You might want to reconsider that, sir." The maid replied.

I frowned at her slightly. I rubbed my nape as I tried to decide if I would face my visitor or not. "Who is this person, precisely?"

The young woman bit her lower lip and stared at me with nervousness in my eyes. "Your visitor is none other than Signore Cesare Fiorenza. He informed me that he wants to talk to you privately if you have time to see him."

"All right, fine." I breathed deeply. "Please, bring him to my father's study room I will come there shortly. I just need to collect myself for a moment before I face him."

The maid nodded. "Certainly, sir."

After a minute or so, I finally managed to summon my feet to move out of my bedroom and see my godfather in my father's library. I don't have any idea what does he wants for me. But I guess the only way I could find it out is to talk to him.

At last, I arrived at the study room. "Good morning, Signore."

"Rafe," My godfather rose from the leather sofa and greeted me with unreadable cold green eyes. "I'm glad that you decide to meet me even if I came here without notice."

"It's fine, sir," I answered as I closed the door behind me firmly and moved further inside the room. "How are you? I'm sorry I couldn't visit you often these past few weeks. Please have a seat."

"I should be the one asking you that question, boy." Cesare Fiorenza said as he took his previous position on the sofa. "How are you, Rafe? I don't know if I have the right to asked that question when my daughter was the reason why you are now a laughing stock here in Ragusa. I'm here to apologize for Leila's behavior for putting you and your family to such shame in the face of society."

I shook my head. "You don't have to apologize for anything, sir. Leila just did what she knew what's best for her and her unborn child."

I knew my mistake as soon as I noticed that my godfather's eyes turned into icy shards of ice upon mentioning the word 'unborn child'. Cesare was one of those fathers who were still old-fashioned when it comes to such matters and for his rebellious daughter to have a child out of wedlock was unacceptable for him.