Chapter 20: The Dance

Life is like dancing. If we have a big floor, many people will dance. Some will get angry when the rhythm changes. But life is changing all the time.

-Miguel Angel Ruiz

Leila Fiorenza's POV

Once I entered the ballroom hall with Leandro. The progressing party inside momentarily froze and stared in our direction. I instantly swallowed hard as we became the subject of their murmured conversation.

Not that I care, I thought silently as I grip Leandro's arm more tightly. I never cared before what would people say about me and this bunch of snobbish people would make me feel unwelcome here.

"Smile," I heard Leandro said softly in my ear. I was busy studying the crowd before us to bother flashing a smile on my face.

I looked at him with a strange smile on my lips. "I will never get used to this kind of stiff and boring party in my life, Leandro. This kind of party makes me yawn seconds after entering this ballroom hall."

He surprised me when he suddenly laughed heartily. Several turned in our direction probably wondering what had amused him so much. "You are something, mi dulzura. That's why you are the perfect wife for me."

I raised my eyebrow in his direction. "You think so?"

"Leandro!" Before he could even answer me, a woman who dressed impeccably approached us with a warm smile on her beautiful face. She tucked both of her arms to Leandro's other arm while her eyes sparkled with delight. She pressed her breast to his arm. "I'm so glad you decide to come."

Great, I thought with fake enthusiasm. I wonder why I don't feel surprised about this new woman. Maybe I got used to the women in his life—heck, we're living in the same room with one of his past girlfriends so this new chick had no effect on me.

I frowned as I remove my hand from his. Why would I be affected if he'd be flock with women as soon as he entered the building? Why do I have this kind of irrational emotion inside me now seeing a woman openly flirted with him? I don't care if they flirt all day. Okay, I need to stop these absurd thoughts right now it's like I'm acting like a jealous wife which was far from the truth.

Leandro glanced in my direction briefly before slowly removing the hands that look like a vine on his right arm. "Daniela, I'd like you to meet my wife, Leila." He performed the introduction with a slight force smile on his handsome face. "Darling, this is Daniela a childhood friend of Lucia."

Childhood friend, my ass. I thought silently. Given the seductive gesture she'd been showing towards Leandro I'm not surprised if this childhood friend set her eyes for this womanizing man. I wonder if this woman often had sleepovers to the estate to see Leandro.

"Oh, you are married!" The childhood friend exclaimed, looking so stunned at the news. Then she turned her full attention towards me. "How do you do?"

I gave her a serene smile as I rubbed my slight bump belly, making sure she noticed my pregnancy. "Blissfully happy, though I get easily tired nowadays. Having a child seems to be more difficult than I imagine."

"Is that so?" She inquired with a lack of sincerity in her voice. She smiled prettily in my direction while her eyes silently glaring for my opinion. "Mind if I steal away your husband for a while? I just need to show him to our friends over there. Because he always doesn't show in this kind of event so tonight is a rare time."

Is that the subtle way that I'm not invited here in their exclusive clique? Well, I don't care if that's the case because I don't want to meet them too. So I smiled at the woman who clutched to Leandro like a creeping plant. "Sure, why not?"