Chapter 43: Clean Slate

•Part 43•

I felt sick as I got out the next morning. I was going back to school and I knew the rumour had already spread like nits in kindergarten. I knew people were going to expect me to come in with red eyes from the tears, smudged make up, messy hair, and in my sweats, so I decided to give them a little surprise by putting on a yellow and silver lace bralet, acid washed denim skort and a pair of black heeled boots with a cutout ankle & buckle. I did my make up, and slicked my hair back into a neat ponytail. And I was ready. I didn't feel like I was for the day ahead, but at least I looked like it.

/////

Sean wasn't in, which didn't surprise me, but as I entered the hall at lunch, I could hear the whispers and feel the stares on me. Seriously, I didn't understand why it was such a big deal. It was a high school for fvck sake! I wasn't the first one to get cheated on and let's face it, I wasn't going to be the last.

"Just ignore them." Melissa told me as we took our seat.

I sighed. "I'm trying to."

"They'll forget about it by Monday." Poppy shrugged. "It's all temporary gossip. They don't even know what actually happened."

"And I don't know which ones worse." I told them.

Melissa was about to speak but was interrupted by Dylan who had appeared out of nowhere, giving Poppy a kiss before turning to face us. "Hey guys!" I waved with a smile, as I swallowed down my food. "I need to get to practice, but I just wanted to make sure y'all coming to the game later."

"Of course." Melissa and I replied at once.

"Great." Dylan grinned. "Well I'm gonna get going, I'll see you later babe." He kissed her hair, before waving to us. "Bye guys."

"Bye." We shouted after him.

"So are you actually gonna go?" Poppy asked me.

I shrugged. "Might as well. Sean's not playing."

"And Liam is." Melissa smiled.

"Well he's the captain." I pointed out.

"Wait Melissa!" Poppy exclaimed. "Lucy doesn't know."

"Oh yeah." Melissa bit her lip.

"What?" I asked. "What don't I know?"

Poppy looked at Melissa before looking back at me. "Well, it seems that while you were dealing with your issues, Hamilton was dealing with his."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Him and Sam broke up." Melissa clarified.

I would be lying to you if I said that a weight wasn't lifted off of my shoulders. It was almost as if I was alive again. I know that sounds stupid, but when you love someone, that you can't have and then finally a possibility comes along, it's almost like your life has been returned to you. And that's how I felt.

"You know, you can smile. Don't pretend like you're not jumping inside your head right now." Poppy laughed.

I bit my lip. "It's not like I can just go up to him now and just tell him I love him."

"Why not?" Poppy asked, receiving a glare from me.

"Guys, even if anything does happen, Im not gonna tell him straight away." I told them. "He doesn't deserve that. And I'm still cautious of him hurting me again."

"That's understandable." Melissa nodded. "Do you think you could forgive him?"

I shrugged. "I guess so. But it'll take time for me to trust him."