Chapter 23: Prom

•Part 23•

Stress. That's all I felt on the day of Prom. The dress shopping had been a complete success and I had settled for a coral pink satin flared bottom gown with a silver beaded top. It was beautiful. Stunning in fact. I matched it to a pair of silver rhinestone multi strap high heel sandals and a saint laurent silver clutch.

But that positive vibe was gone and stress was taking over.

"Guys we need to calm down." Poppy exclaimed.

"I can't." I argued. "This is so stressful."

"Poppy, prom is in 3 hours and we're not ready!" Melissa panted.

"And we're not going to be if we don't sit the fvck down and start breathing!" Poppy shouted. "Lucy sit your ass down, Melissa get the make up and I'll get started on her hair."

I did as I was told and it had worked. Nearly and hour later I was ready. My make up and hair was on point. Now it was time for Melissa's hair. Poppy braided it, letting out loose strands all over the hairstyle to make it look more like Melissa.

I had the job of Poppy's make up which was a big responsibility considering I could barely do my own on a daily basis.

"Guys! It's time!" Poppy finally announced as we all appeared in the living room. It took us hours to get ready but we were finally done. I was happy with my look, the dress was perfect and I couldn't be happier. Poppy had bought a dark blue strapless long gown with a gold imbraided top half and a pair of gold sandal heels. Melissa on the other hand settled for a shorter dress that puffed out just above her knees. It was turquoise with a rhinestone waistline and one shoulder strap also filled with stones. She was the smallest out of us meaning she had the highest pair of heels on which looked funnier than it probably was meant to.

Our mums were all gathered around the staircase patiently waiting for us to appear. Only one question was going through our minds; which mother was going to burst first?

"Girls! You look beautiful!" Mrs Robinson it was. I saw Poppy roll her eyes in disappointment at her mother being so emotionally weak. We weren't being mean, it was just a slight bet we made upstairs, and seeing as Poppy was about as cold as ice when it came to basic human emotions, her mother being so emotional was quite funny.

My mothers tears appeared before she spoke. "I remember when you were all just five years old-"

"Mum, we really don't have to do this." I insisted.

Mrs Cox was last which painted a proud smile on Melissa's face. Melissa was by far the most emotional out of us three so this was quite a surprise. "You're all so grown up." She cried. And there they were. Three grown middle-aged woman weeping at the sight of their 18 year old daughters going to prom. Quite flattering but also quite sad.

After a mini photo shoot, we heard three car horns outside the house and we knew that it was time. As Melissa opened the door we were met by our three dates. Poppy was met by Dylan who had a navy tie and gold handkerchief in his blazer pocket to match her dress. His eyes practically popped out at the sight of her and I couldn't blame him. She looked like a completely different girl. After she kissed him lightly in an attempt to regain his focus, he took her hand and whispered something in her ear.

Melissa was greeted by a grinning Peter who I didn't know too well but recognised him from the football team. Before prom, Melissa had never ever mentioned him to neither me nor Poppy so you can imagine our surprise when we found out that our shy book worm best friend got asked out by a jock, and a hot one at that! Don't get me wrong, we were extremely happy for her, it was just unexpected. He couldn't stop grinning as she played with his turquoise tie that matched her dress perfectly. I smiled at my two best friends and at how happy they were, before turning to face my own date.