Chapter 4: Back to School

•Part 4•

We hadn't really spoken since Liam had told me he wanted us to be a secret. To be honest, I was scared of getting too attached because today was the first day of school and I had no idea what to expect. Was Liam going to at least say hi to me, or was he going to pretend like I didn't exist?

There was a plus though, the fact that Liam was keeping us a secret meant that I didn't have to dress up like crazy to impress him and look good enough for him. I could just be myself. And so I went for a red and blue checked plaid shirt and a pair of black jeans with a rip on the left knee along with a pair of black Old Skool Vans.

I was happy with my appearance and that's all I needed in my life.

~***~

"LUCY!" I knew that voice too well.

"Poppy!" I shouted back down the corridor, turning to see my best friend speed towards me.

She opened her locker quickly next to mine, threw her books in, shut it with a slam before throwing her arms around me. "I missed you so much! Two months away is too long!" She exclaimed.

I laughed. "I missed you too Pop. How was Australia?"

Her eyes widened with excitement. "Amazing! Purely because of the guys. But it was amazing."

"Of course." I laughed.

"But nowhere near as interesting as yours was!" She pointed out.

I sighed. "I only hung out with him twice."

"But you kissed!" He exclaimed. "I can't believe he's keeping you a secret. A bit suspicious in my opinion."

I nodded. "That's why I'm not putting my hopes up."

"Have you heard from Patrick?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No. I don't want to. My dad dealt with him, but he refuses to tell me what he did or whether he did anything or just spoke to him."

Poppy raised an eyebrow. "Knowing your dad, I doubt he 'just talked' to Patrick." She had a point.

I shrugged. "I just want to keep him in the past. And I really hope he doesn't come back."

"Speaking of your past," Poppy muttered. "Your present and possibly your future has just entered."

My head snapped in the direction that her eyes were looking. I promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those desperate girls who beg to be noticed by the high school hottie, but the thing was, he had already noticed me, in fact, he had saved my life and even kissed me. And now on a much smaller scale, he was noticing me, by sending me a subtle wink before turning to Dylan, his best friend.

"Was that to you?" Poppy asked.

I shrugged. "I think so." Poppy laughed. "What? I asked.

"Oh nothing, I just love how you try to act like it doesn't bother you." She told me.

I shut my locker and started walking down the corridor, in the opposite direction to Liam. "Of course it bothers me!"

"Look, all I'm going to say is don't put your hopes up. Liam sure does seem like a nice guy, but at the end of the day, he's the high school king." Poppy advised. "Plus, he's already messed it up."

She was right. I didn't want to admit it because I wanted to see Liam as a nice guy who actually cares for people, but just after a few weeks of us being 'friends' and only after two times of us hanging out, he had already managed to mess up.

~***~

Most of the day had passed in no time. Lunch was already upon us and as I had for the past six years, I found myself sitting at our usual table in the lunch hall.