Chapter 14: Chosen

•Part 14•

"Assembly this morning!" Mr Morrison walked around the school yelling.

"Oh for fvck sake." Poppy cursed. "I was hoping to do my Bio in form."

"This is probably going to be some pointless announcement assembly." Melissa sighed, as we walked towards the hall.

"I'm surprised no one has ever protested against this torture." Poppy said.

"Then again, they'd probably call us in for another assembly to complain about tge protest." I pointed out, earning a laugh.

"Good morning students." Mrs Atkinson, the head teacher greeted us all with a presentation.

"Kill me." I heard Poppy mutter.

"As you've probably realised, we've reached the point of the school year where we research a major issue in our society and find a way to raise awareness."

"Just stab me." I groaned.

"This year the issue is bullying." Mrs Atkinson announced.

"How original." Melissa commented.

" Now I know that every year we get everyone involved in this event."

"Please say it's not compulsory this year." Poppy begged under her breath.

"But this year the teachers and I have come to a very original, new and exciting idea to raise awareness." Mrs Atkinson's excitement scared me slightly.

"If she makes us write songs or poems about bullying I swear I'm gonna shoot myself." Melissa muttered.

Our headteacher clapped her hands together as a grin appeared on her face. "The idea this year is," I think the main idea for her pause was to build up tension, but by this time most people were either day dreaming or sleeping so all that her pause did was enable us to hear all the varying snores. "Performance!"

"Oh my god." I groaned.

"I thought last years short film was bad enough." Poppy reminded us.

"Yeah I thought it couldn't get worse than that." Melissa added.

"Now, we were afraid of there being an issue for the main roles so the teachers have voted for a boy and a girl to take part." The hall echoed with groans.

"This is awful." Melissa mumbled. "Teacher's votes means that the people chosen will either be the popular kids or the ones that want to do it the least."

She was right. It was bound to be either someone like Nicole or someone like one of us three.

"The boy that got the majority of votes is of course the one and only Mr Liam Hamilton." The head teacher was almost as excited as the bunch of hormonal first years who all probably dreamed of Liam regularly.

"They're going for the popular." Poppy pointed out.

"The girl that got the majority of the votes is the lovely," These pauses had to stop.

"Nicole Jacobs." Melissa muttered.

"Lucy Banks!" My jaw dropped and my muscles stiffened. Did I just hear my name? No. No this couldn't be right.

"Oh my god." Poppy muttered.

"Lucy and Liam, why don't you come up on stage?" My head teacher grinned.

"Fvck my life." I groaned as people started clapping. I looked around for Liam but he hadn't stood up yet.

"Lucy Banks and Liam Hamilton, we'd like you on stage please." Mrs Atkinson repeated.

I hid even deeper into my chair as my friends tried their hardest to hide their laughter until I saw Liam get up in the corner of my eye.

I decided to stand up and make my way to the stage. This was awful. I just wanted to dig myself a hole and jump in it. Yes, jump in it because that's how deep it'd be.

Once I had gotten on stage it'd hit me; the stares, glares, laughs, sniffles. I knew in that instant that I was going to be the talk of the school. And not for positive reasons.

"Guys let's give a round of applause for Lucy and Liam." The head teacher grinned. As soon as the clapping began, both Liam and I couldn't have ran off the stage fast enough.

Once there was silence, Mrs Atkinson announced the end of assembly and dismissed us all. I couldn't get out of the hall fast enough.

"Where are you going?" Melissa asked.

"I need to see Mrs Atkinson."

"Are you gonna try and get out of it?"

I nodded. "I am not doing this."

Mrs Atkinson's office was around the corner so thankfully I got there in no time.

"Come in." I heard her say after my knock. I gave her a smile. "Ahh, Lucy. How are you feeling about getting chosen?"

I shook my head. "I can't do this part Ms."

"Why not?" She asked.

What was I meant to say? Because I had to work with Liam Hamilton? Because he technically cheated on me? Because I want to get rid of him from my life? Because Nicole knew about me and him and she was bound to spread it if she didn't get the role? I could just imagine her fuming right now.

"I just can't Ms. I don't think I'm good for this sort of thing--"

"Nonsense!" My headteacher rolled her eyes. "You got chosen for a reason Lucy. Don't stress it'll all be alright."

"But--"

"No buts! There are no changes. Now why don't you go back to your lessons?"

I sighed leaving her office and making my way to maths. What was I going to do? There had to be something--

"Banks." Shit.

"Nicole." I nodded.

"It's meant to be me." I knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Trust me," I said. "I wish it were you."

She stared at my blankly. "Then give it to me."

"How?" I asked.

"Go to Mrs Atkinson--"

"I've already done that." I told her.

"And?"

"And she said that there's no changes."

Nicole smirked. "You obviously didn't try hard enough. Is it because Liam is there?"

I sighed. "No. Actually, that's the reasons I don't want to do it. If you want to take my part then why don't you go and ask Atkinson?" And with that I pushed past her and walked down the corridor. What had I gotten myself into?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

http://www.polyvore.com/cant_do_this_part/set?id=126391525&lid=3706920