Chapter 42: Trial Run

•Part 42•

I was woken up by a bright light piercing through my eyelids and stinging my eyes. I sat up straight, trying to adjust my eyes to the unfamiliar surroundings.

"Shit." I cursed as I realised where I was. I had slept through the whole night at the beach. I must have dozed off, from the exhaustion.

I quickly looked around for my bag that I had used as a pillow and dug for my phone.

128 missed calls. Oh my God. 74 from my mum. 15 from my dad. 20 from Melissa and 19 from Poppy.

I quickly dialled my mums number. "Mum?"

"OH MY GOD LUCY! ARE YOU OKAY?" My mum screamed through the phone.

"Mum. I'm so sorry I'm fine." I told her.

"Where are you? What happened-"

"Mum I'll be home in 20 minutes and I'll tell you everything. Don't worry. I'm fine." I wasn't though.

"Oh my god." She breathed. "Alright, I'm waiting."

As I drove home, I dreaded my mums reaction. But I was ready to tell her everything that has been going on in my life and I hoped that it would help her understand and forgive me.

Believe it or not but I didn't even have to sneak inside because my fuming mother was standing at the porch when I had arrived.

"Hey mum." I waved as I got out the car.

"Hey? HEY?!"

"Mum stop screaming, the neighbours will hear." I told her.

"I don't care about the neighbours when my daughter hadn't come home for the night and decided to ignore the hundreds of calls everyone was giving her--"

"Mum I can explain, seriously, I'm sorry." I tried staying calm. "Please just let me take a shower and get changed and I'll explain, I promise." I have her a quick kiss on the cheek and ran up stairs, straight into the shower.

I couldn't feel any better after that shower. I mean, there was no way anyone could feel great after finding out they were cheated on, but it was the best I could get.

I quickly slipped on a white pair of skinny jeans, a bright blue kimono too with a brown leather strip belt around the waist and a pair of light Timberlands, and I was ready to face my mum.

"Are you ready yet to explain yourself?" My mum asked sternly.

I nodded, reaching for a banana. "You were right, I did run away on Sunday. When Nicole and I went outside, she told me that Sean was cheating on me." My mum opened her mouth to speak but I interrupted her. "I didn't believe her at first, I mean, it's Sean mum. My Sean. The Sean I trusted and felt completely comfortable around. I could imagine a future with him, and he could have possibly been the best thing that has ever happened to me." I could feel my tears trying to break through and I was surprised there were even any left. "I ran home before she could tell me anymore, and then cried myself to sleep."

"Oh sweetheart." My mum cooed, taking me into her arms. "Please tell me it wasn't true."

I sobbed into her chest. "She showed me the pictures in school mum. He cheated on me at the party."

"The same one you were on?"

I nodded, taking a step back. "I broke down in front of her but then, I just couldn't hold it in anymore and couldn't stay there. No one knew except for Nicole and I didn't want to talk to anyone." I cried. "I found myself driving to the beach, to mine and Liam's spot, and I just fell asleep there. I'm so so sorry for scaring you. That wasn't my intention--"

"Shhh." My mum whispered. "Baby, I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

I shook my head, crying even more. "I don't know what to do mum."

"Well firstly, stop crying sweetheart. No boy is worth your tears." She hugged me tightly. "He's an idiot, a complete and utter asshole if he can't appreciate you."

"Why am I so unlucky?" I asked. "What am I doing wrong?"

"Nothing baby, nothing." My mum, rubbed my back. "It's them that have something wrong with their heads."

//////////

I didn't go to school that day, and seeing as my friends finished early that day, we met for lunch so I could apologise and explain to them.

"Are you sure it's not photoshopped?" Melissa asked.

I shook my head. "Nicole's a bitch but she's got more important things to do that ruin people's relationships."

"How are you feeling about it?" Poppy asked.

I wiped away my tears. "Weak, numb. I'm scared of what will happen when I see him."

"Just don't cry in front of him." She said. "If you cry, he's gonna have the control."

I sighed. "I don't know if I'll be able not to."

"Where did you go last night?" Melissa asked.

I shook my head. "This is probably the worst part."

"Nothing can be worse than what Sean did." Poppy told me. "Don't you dare feel guilty."

"I went to the beach. I sat in mine and Liam's spot and as I sat there," I cried even harder. "All I wanted was him."

"Lucy--"

"Why? Why is this happening to me?" I cried.

"It's okay Lucy." Melissa said, hugging me. "Maybe this enabled you to finally realise who you really want and how strong your feelings for Liam have been."

I was about to reply when something caught my eye. Sean and Sara were at the park fountain opposite the bench we were sitting on. Before I knew it, I was wiping my tears and storming off towards them.

"What is this?" I chocked, as I reached them. Both of them jumped, slightly startled to see me there. "How could you Sean? I trusted you! I liked you and believed everything you ever told me!"

"Lucy! Stop shouting." Sara told me.

I looked at her. "He told me you two broke up. That you hurt him."

"We did." Sean admitted. "But it wasn't as serious as I made it out to be. We were fighting and decided to try other relationships but soon realised that we didn't want anyone else--"

"So I was just a trial run?" I could feel the tears trying to break through but could hear my best friends telling me to hold it in at the back of my mind. "Just an experiment?"

Sean shrugged. "Well it has to be someone."

My mouth dropped at his words. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This wasn't the Sean I knew. The Sean standing in front of me was harsh and cold. Before I knew it my fist was flying up and punching him straight in the nose. As I shook the pain off of my hand, I shrugged. "Sorry, it had to be someone."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

http://www.polyvore.com/was_just_trail_run/set?id=126718510&lid=3706920