Chapter 17: Happy Birthday

•Part 17•

"MORNIN' BIRTHDAY GIRL!" I opened my eyes to be met by a very smiley smile which could only belong to my mum.

"Morning." I muttered sitting up.

"IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY! HUNNY YOU'RE ALREADY 18!" Her voice suddenly broke and I knew what was coming. She was going to cry. That was her thing, she cried every year after waking me up on my birthday.

"Mum thank you so much I love you but it's way too early for this." I groaned. I didn't want to sound ungrateful, I loved my mum, but no one would be happy being woken up by screaming.

"Honey, it's 7:00. You've actually had a sleep in." My mum told me.

At those words my eyes shot open and I sat up straight. Before I knew it I jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. I had slept in half an hour, and half an hour is a lot for a girl in the morning, even if it's a girl like me who doesn't put much effort into her appearance.

Today out of all the days, I had planned to dress up. After all, it was my birthday. I quickly slipped on a pink/purple pastel cloud patterned skater dress and a pair of light pink pointy toe leather heels.

I quickly let my naturally wavy hair out and I was ready. Lack of time meant lack of breakfast for me that morning.

As I made my way downstairs I kissed both my parents and apologised that I couldn't open their present.

"Have a lovely day sweetheart!" My mum shouted after me before I got my car and drove away.

///////

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Melissa and Poppy shouted as soon as I got out of my car at the parking lot.

"Thanks guys." I smiled giving them both a hug.

"Here's your present. I mean, it's nothing big but we put something together for you." Poppy passed me a parcel.

"Nothing big?! Even if this is nothing big, you've organised my whole 18th party! I can't ask for anything more." I told them. "Let's go sit down before I open this."

I didn't even bother to place my bags down once I reached our usual picnic table. I threw them out of the way and ripped the parcel open to reveal a leather covered album. I looked up at my friends in awe to be met by their excited smiles. As I opened the book I was met by a very old picture of us all at the age of 4. That's when we met. We were inseparable since that exact day. Which was actually my 4th birthday. As I turned the pages I was met by a hundred more pictures a in chronological order with a little statement under each one. By the time I had gotten to the end I was weeping.

"This is beautiful." I cried.

Poppy laughed. "Then why are you crying?"

"Out of happiness. I'm so emotional." I got up and walked around the table to hug my friends again.

"14 years of our friendship needed a little bit of celebration." Melissa told me.

"I hate you guys for putting me in this state." I laughed through my tears.

Poppy was about to speak but she was interrupted by the clearing of a throat.

I turned around to be met by a smiling Liam. "Bad timing?"

"No, why?" I asked. He rubbed under his eyes indicating my smudged mascara. "Oh shit."

I heard him laugh. "It's fine--"

"Guys we'll leave you alone. I'll see you in form Luce." Poppy smiled as her and Melissa got up and walked away.

"How bad do I look?" I asked, rummaging for my mirror.