Chapter 21

"So Dan, you survived your first day." I smiled at him as we sat on his bed. I tucked my legs under

me and he started twiddling his thumbs. I was about to speak, but he beat me to it.

"To be honest… I'm a little scared to sleep in this place…" He swallowed and looked over at me

before he returned his gaze to his hands.

"Well I'm just five doors down that way," I pointed to the left and waited to make sure he saw. "If

you need anything." I smiled at him and he nodded just the slightest. "You still don't wanna sleep in here, do you?" He shook his head and I smiled a little. "You wanna stay with me?" His eyes widened a little and he stuttered to reply. "Mikey's not gonna care, I did the same thing for Frank a few times when he was the new guy here." His shoulders relaxed a little and he smiled.

"Thanks." I smiled and nodded as my response.

There was a knocking on the door before I heard Ray on the other side. "James, is that you in there?"

"Yeah Ray, come on in." Ray opened the door and smiled at us.

"You guys comin' to lunch or what?"

"Uh.." I looked over at Dan before I looked back to Ray. "I think… we're gonna need a new sitting

place, just for today." Ray opened his mouth to ask why, but I continued before he could get his question out. "Dan has a friend with him…" Dan and I exchanged a glance before I continued; Dan stared at the ground for the rest of the conversation. "And unless you're fine with sharing a booth with Gerard and Mikey, then we're going to need a new spot."

Ray smiled a little and lowered his voice, as if someone other than Dan and I were going to hear him.

"I don't think Mister Moody would like that too much." He and I laughed a little at his nickname for Mikey before he continued. "Besides, I don't mind sharing a booth with them." He waved for us to follow before he left the room, leaving the door open.

"I…" Dan stopped and swallowed hard before finishing his sentence. "I don't think I'm really hungry

right now…" I glared at him a little before I grabbed his sleeve and pulled him off the bed.

"Come on." I linked both of my arms with his left arm and walked out of his room. "It'll be fine,

Dan." I closed his door and smiled at him before we started the short walk to the cafeteria.

"Hi Jamie." The same manly looking woman that was working on Frank's first day greeted us as we

stepped up to get our food. "Another newbie?" She smiled at Dan and he looked like a deer in the headlights, uncertain of what to do.

I linked my arms with his again before answering her. "Yeah, this is Dan." She looked a little shocked

that I was speaking, but she quickly recovered and smiled as she handed each of us a tray.

I moved ahead of Dan, knowing what I wanted to eat. I was reaching for a fruit cup when I noticed

the woman was handing Dan a second tray and his face was beet red. He murmured something to himself before he started putting food on both trays. I frowned a little and continued to get my food. Once Dan reached the end I smiled at him a little, "Ready?" He nodded a little and I lead the way to our booth; Ray, Mikey, and Gerard were already sitting and eating when we reached them.

"Hey guys." I smiled at them before I turned back to Dan. "Do you want the inside or outside?" I

asked him softly and he quickly looked over to his left before answering me.