Chapter 10

Jamie's POV

I laid on my bed later that night with my pillow over my face. I sighed and walked out of my room,

carrying the pillow with me. I knocked on the door and he opened it. "James. You okay?" I shook my head and Gerard let me in. "What's going on?" I grabbed the white board off his desk, he has an extra one in here at all times, and laid on his bed with the pillow in my arms. He laid next to me and waited.

I opened my mouth to explain it to Gerard, but I just closed my mouth again. "Come on James. I haven't

heard you talk since…"

"The fire." I whispered and looked up at Gerard. He looked at me with shocked eyes for a second, then

the look changed to guilt. I looked down again and dropped the board on the floor behind me. "Mikey asked about the burns…"

"What… What'd you tell him?"

"I didn't…" I whispered and he nodded. I took in a deep breath and looked at him again.

"I really am sorry about-" I shook my head and he stopped talking. We laid there silent, both of us

probably reliving the fire.

**********************

Flashback (still Jamie's POV)

It was after curfew and I couldn't find Gerard. It was only my second week in the asylum and he would

always come check on me before curfew, but he never came today. There were no nurses in the lobby since no one was supposed to be up, so I got out to the back yard easily. I saw a faint orange glow behind one of the trees and I couldn't quite figure out what it was until I walked up to it.

It was a fire. Not a big, accidental fire, it was more of a camp fire. And Gerard was sitting next to it. "Hey Jamie." He gave me the biggest smile I've seen on him since I've gotten here before he continued

to smoke his cigarette and stare at the fire.

"Hey… We should be in bed. It's after curfew."

He waved me off and held his cigarette in his hand. "Sleep can wait. I wanna smoke my cigarette." I

patiently stood and waited for him to finish his cigarette before I spoke again.

"I'm gonna go get some water to put this-"

"No, no, no!! I wanna show you something!!" Gerard stood up and grabbed a stick from the fire.

"Look!" Gerard waved the flaming stick around and I took a few steps back. "Here!" Gerard tried to hand me my own stick, but I took a few more steps back. "Aw come on!!" Gerard waved it around in front of me and I backed up into a tree. "Fine. More for me!!!" Gerard put the two sticks together and the flame grew bigger. He spun around like a little kid with a sparkler and every time his arm swung near me, he got closer and closer.

"Gerard. You're gonna burn me."

"No I'm not!" Gerard stopped spinning and stood next to me. "Here… " Gerard made me stick my arms

out like I was holding a book open. "See!!" Gerard swung the flame like a pendulum over my arms. "Its totally fine!!" Just then the flame snapped the two sticks in half and they fell on my arms, catching my sleeves on fire and quickly burning them away. I moved my arms so the sticks would fall, but my arms were still on fire.

Oh, and I was screaming. I'm not some maniac who enjoys pain.

Gerard was beating out the flame the was at my feet and I was standing slumped against the tree

screaming, not sure what to do. "What the hell are you doing?!!" I looked at Gerard, lost and helpless, and he dragged me over to one of the two ponds the back yard had. He forced my arms into the pond and yelled at me again. "Why the did you just stand there?!!"

"I don't know…" I continued to cry silently, then I heard a crackling, like a fire crackling. Gerard and I

looked up at the same time to see that he hadn't completely beaten the fire out and it quickly caught three trees on fire. "Gerard…" Gerard ran back into the asylum, leaving me behind. He didn't do it to save himself, he just didn't want to get caught with the fire. I stood up from the pond and stopped when I saw what had happened to my arms. I turned my arms over multiple times before I heard a branch fall, forcing me to focus again.

I ran into the asylum and started yelling. "Fire!!!" I yelled it multiple times before I ran over to the

phone behind the main desk and called 9-1-1.

**********************

End of Flashback

I was put on medication for four weeks after that. I've worn my straight jacket everyday since then so no

one would ask about the burns. As far as the nurses know, I couldn't sleep that night so I went to the cafeteria to get some hot chocolate when I saw a tree on fire. I tired to put it out, but I just got burnt by a branch that broke off and I ran back inside to warn everyone. That's also why we only have two trees in the back yard now.

And that's how I got burnt. And since I was the one who saw the fire, I was the one everyone wanted to

talk to in order to find out more, so I stopped talking. "Jamie…" I looked up at Gerard. "Promise me you won't tell Mikey. He might…"

"I won't say anything." I whispered and looked down again. Gerard wrapped his arm around me and

pulled me up to his chest. I pulled the pillow out from in between us and threw it on the floor with my white board.

"I'm sorry I left you that night."

"It's okay. You couldn't get caught." He buried his face in my hair and I pressed my face into his chest

more. "Will you sing to me?" My question came out mumbled, but he understood me.

"What do you want me to sing?" He mumbled into my hair his response.

"I don't know…." Gerard started humming and I closed my eyes. His hums eventually turned into

words, but I was too tired to figure them out before I fell asleep.

--------------------------------------------

THE NEXT DAY

Gerard had left me by myself this morning, so I was walking into breakfast by myself. I tried not to

laugh when I saw Frank and Gerard were sharing a booth. "What's so funny Jamie?" I looked up at Mikey and smiled. He stood up and let me into the booth. I had just sat down when Mikey planted a kiss on my cheek. I blushed and ate my oatmeal without looking at anyone.

"Not talking today?" I looked up at Gerard and saw the slight disappointment in his eyes. I shook my

head and he nodded. "You sleep okay?" I smiled and nodded. I opened my mouth to ask about what he was singing last night, but I decided against it and I looked down at my oatmeal again.

"Come on." Mikey bumped me a little and whispered. "I haven't heard you talk in a while." I shook my

head and pushed my oatmeal around. "Pleeease?" Mikey poked my leg with his fork a few times and I punched his arm. "You are such a guy." I stuck my tongue out at him and he smiled before he pushed his glasses up.

"Oh, Frank." Gerard turned to Frank and Mikey and I watched. "Nurse Joy wanted me to tell you that

your mom is coming to visit today."

*************************************************************************

So now you know how Jamie got burnt and why she doesn't talk :) And I left it at a cliff hanger muhahaha xD xD I hope you guys enjoyed :)