Chalter 46

I lay beside Legolas giggling quietly as Gimli's loud snores fill the tent. Legolas and I laid awake simply enjoying each other's presence when Gimli suddenly stands up and leaves. "Just where do you think you're off to?" I heard Gimli say. Legolas and I grab our stuff and head to Arod and Aola. As Aragorn tells Gimli he must stay, Legolas and I appear with our horses. I smirk, "Have you learnt nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves?" Gimli smiles, "You might as well accept it. We're coming with you laddie." Aragorn smiles and we ride down the rode to Dimholt, preparing for what lies ahead of us.
~~~~
"What kind of army would linger in such a place?" Gimli asked as we had the horses walk through the jagged rocks that lay around us. "One that is cursed," I explained, "Long ago the men of the mountains swore an oath to the last king of Gondor to come to his aid, to fight. When when the time came, and Gondor's need was dire, they fled vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Ilsidur cursed them, never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge. Who shall call them from the grey twilight, the forgotten people? The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the north shall he come, need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead."

We reach the entrance to the Paths of the Dead. By now we had begun walking, leading the horses by the reins. "The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away." Gimli whispers as we near the entrance. Legolas reads the inscription above the door, "The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead and the dead keep it. The way is shut."

Something suddenly comes out of the door and spooks the horses, cause them to run off. "Brego!" "Aola!" Aragorn and I shout. Gimli looks alarmed but Aragorn speaks up, "I do not fear death!" He walks through the entrance, and Legolas and I follow. "Well this is a thing unheard of. Two elves will go underground, where a dwarf dare not. Oh. Oh, I'd never hear the end of it." I soon hear Gimli's footsteps following after his voice and laugh.