Chapter 9

That was the exact moment that my heart stopped beating. That was the exact moment my world crumbled around me. That was the exact I felt my heart twist until it snapped. That was the exact moment I watched the man I once used to think of as a father figure fall into the obis.

"GANDALF!" I screamed at the top of my lungs and charged for the bridge. I only made it a few feet till arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back. The familiar smell of pine hit my nose but I didn't care. I had just let the most important person in my life disappear. And there was no getting him back. Legolas picked me up bridal style and carried me out to where everyone was morning the loss off.... I couldn't get myself to say his name. It hurt too much. Legolas sat on a rock with me on his lap as he tried to stop the loud and hysteric sobs making their way from my throat. He was gone.

"Legolas," Aragorn spoke, "Get them up." I looked at him in disbelief. Was he serious? "Give them a moment for pity's sake." Boromir spoke. "By nightfall, these hills will be swarming with orcs. we mis reach the woods of Lothlórien." I slowly stood up from Legolas and followed Aragorn, feeling numb all over. Legolas helped Merry and Pippin up but kept glancing at me to see how I was doing. I didn't show any emotion as I brushed past Aragorn and continued walking. I could mourn another time. I must focus on us getting to Lothlórien before the sun sets. We ran through the river till we came to the edge of the forest. I walked behind Aragorn as we entered the forest. "Shh! Stay close young hobbits. They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods. And elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell and are never seen again. But here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox." He turned back and jumped when he saw multiple arrows pointed at him. We all froze as Haldir emerged from the archers, "The dwarf breaths so loud we could have shot him in the dark." "Haldir of Lorien. We come here for help. We need your protection." Aragorn spoke in elvish. "Aragorn!" Gimli interrupted, " these woods are perilous. We should go back." "You had entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood." Haldir spoke, "You cannot go back. Come. She is waiting." Haldir looked at me and smiled wore speaking in elvish, "Lady Raina. What a pleasant surprise." I bowed to him, "The pleasure is mine Haldir of Lorien. It's been long my friend." He nodded and led us through the forest. We finally reached Lothlórien and I smiled. It had not changed at all. We watched as Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn approached us, "Nine that are here yet ten were set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him." Lord Celeborn spoke. Lady Galadriel looked into my eyes for a moment before speaking ,"He has fallen into shadow. The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains whole the company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now an rest, for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep."