Chapter 17

I ran behind Legolas but stopped and started at the sunrise, "The red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night." Aragorn bent down to touch the ground when a neigh sounded. We ran behind a nearby rock and watched as a large group of horseman rode by.

Aragorn stood up after they had all passed, "Riders of Rohan! What news from the mark?" We all watched as they turned back and rode towards us. I felt Legolas move to stand next to me as protection and smiled slightly. The riders formed a circle and pointed their weapons at us from all angles.

We put our heads up to show we were harmless as the leader rode forward, "What business does a man, two elves, and a dwarf have in Riddermark? Speak quickly!" He commanded and Gimli decided to speak up, "Give me your name horse master, and I shall give you mine." I smirked a little while the rider hopped off his horse and walked closer to us, "I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it but a little higher off the ground." I quickly grabbed an arrow and aimed it at the riders head, "You would do before your stroke fell." Aragorn put his hand on my arm and lowered it.

He turned to the rider, "I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Gimli, son of Gloin, Legolas of the Woodland Realm, and Raina, daughter of Lord Mēhadöta and heir to Bĥaatün. We are friends of Theoden, your king." "Theoden no longer recognizes friend from foe. Not even his own kin." He took off his helmet. Wait. It's Eomer! Theoden's nephew. "Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king, and claimed lordship over these lands. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished. The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there, they say, as an old man hooded and cloaked. And everywhere, his spies slip past our nets." "We are no spies." I spoke up and Eomer looked at me with a smile.

"Hello Eomer. Long time no see my friend." He walked over to me and gave me a hug. "Lady Raina. For too long it has been since our paths had crossed." I pulled away as Aragorn started to speak again, "We track a party of Urak-Hai westwaed across the plain." "They have taken two of our friends." I spoke up as Eomer looked at me with a frown, "The Uraks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night." Gimli spoke up, "But there were two hobbits. Did you see two hobbits with them?" "They would be small. Only children to your eyes." I said. "We left none alive. We piled the carcasses and burned them." Eomer spoke with sadness.

I felt tears build in my eyes but I didn't let them fall, "Dead?" "I am sorry." Legolas rested a hand on my arm and I looked down. No, they cannot be dead. Eomer whistled, "Hasufel! Arod!" A white horse and a brown horse emerged from the circle with saddles. He handed them to us, "May these horses bear you to better fortune than their former masters. Farewell."

I gave him one last hug ad climbed onto Hasufel behind Aragorn. "Look for your friends, but do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands. we ride North!" The rode off as we rise towards the smoke rising onto the air.