Chapter 25

We walked in and saw Eowyn kneeling next to two children that were eating. Gandalf was sitting beside Theoden, and Aragorn and Gimli were sat at another table eating. We walked over and sat at the table. I sat next to Aragorn and Legolas sat next to Gimli.

Elmer started talking about how the children's village was attacked and they were forced to flee. "They had no warning," Eomer started, "They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot, at tree." "Where is Mama?" The little girl asked in the most innocent voice ever. That one question alone made me want to cry.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." Gandalf said. "You have 2000 old men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal. His men will return and fight for their King." Aragorn spoke. Theoden stood up and started pacing, "They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Eomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want if me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." "Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not." Aragorn said. Theoden turned to him, "When I last checked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan." Aragorn was silent as Gandalf spoke up, "Then what is the Kings decision?"
~~~~
I walked alongside Aragorn as Gandalf ranted, "Helm's Deep. They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their King?" "He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." I said. "There is no way out of that ravine. Theoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre." Gandalf walked into Shadowfax's stable and turned to us, "Theoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you both before the end, Aragorn and Raina. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold." I nodded my head, "They will hold." Gandalf gave us a look and mounted Shadowfax, "The Grey Pilgrim. That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth, and now I have no time. With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east." I opened the stable gate for Gandalf as Aragorn spoke, "Go." Legolas and Gimli quickly shot out of the way as Shadowfax galloped out of the stables.