Chapter 32

We walked behind Theoden as he stood outside the gate, "I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall. We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall, or set foot inside the Hornburg!"

"This is no rabble of mindless Orcs. These are Urak-Hai. Their armour is thick and their shields broad." I said. Theoden took a step towards me, "I have thought many wars, Lady Raina. I know how to defend my own keep."

We headed through the gate. "They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn. We've seen it before. Crops can be resown, homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them."

Aragorn shook his head, "They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. They come to destroy its people, down to the last child."

Theoden turned to Aragorn and pulled him closer. "What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end, as to be with of remembrance." Theoden spoke in a hushed tone. I stepped forward, "Send out riders, my lord. You must call for aid."

Theoden stopped walking away and turned to me, "And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead." Aragorn spoke up, "Gondor will answer-" "Gondor?!" Theoden growled in anger. "Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell?! Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us. Where was Gon- No, my lord Aragorn. We are alone."

He stormed away and I leaned over the Deep's wall and sighed. I looked towards the east and mumbled, "Oh Gandalf, how we need you."