Chapter 22

We galloped across the plains and came to a halt as Edoras came into view.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong." Gandalf spoke as we stared at the city. I could feel the sorrow and darkness radiating off of it and frowned.

"Careful what you say. You will not find welcome here." We rode up to the front gates when something landed in front of Aola. The flag of Rohan. We went through the glum city as Gimli spoke, "You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." I smiled at a little boy but the mother grabbed his hand and pulled the young boy behind her. Okay...

I jumped off Aola and walked up the steps beside Legolas. A group of guards walked up to us. The leader spoke, "I cannot allow you before Theoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue." I took off my bow and arrow, sword, and dagger, and passed it to one of the guards. Once we all finished, the leader looked at Gandalf, "Your staff." Gandalf leaned onto it, "You would not part an old man from his walking stick." I kicked Legolas in the back of the leg. He looked at me confused so I nodded my head to Gandalf. He seemed to get what I was implying a wrapped his arm through Gandalf's. The guards lead us to the throne room where King Theoden sat as a greasy pale man with black hair and clothes crouched next to him.

I gasped when I saw King Theoden. His once blonde hair was grey and knotted. His face had aged so much that it looked like he was laying on his deathbed. His eyes that were once bluer than the sea, had gone dull and clouded over.

Oh know what has happened to you old friend?