Chapter 43

I woke up an our before dawn feeling the alcohol had left my system.

I see Aragorn leave towards the balcony and Legolas is missing next to me, so I follow. I spot them both looking at the distance. I go over to Legolas' other side and he smiles at me. "the stars are veiled. Something stirs in the east, a sleepless malice..." He turns to Aragorn, "The eye of the enemy is moving."

We continue to stare out until shouting is heard from inside. I sprint back and find Pippin holding the Palantir in his arms clearly in pain. I run over an pull it out of his arms. I scream as a searing pain fills my head and Sauron's voice echoes, "Who is attempting to destroy the ring? Shall they succeed? I think not. They will not make it past Mordor's gate and all of man kind will be destroye-" I dropped the Palantir and fell back into Legolas' arms.

He gently soothed me as we watched Gandalf wrap the Palantir back up. He turns to Pippin who was lying still with his eyes open, "No." Gandalf places a hand on his forehead and starts to nimble a spell. Pippin jumps awake and gasps. "Look at me." He looks to Gandalf on the verge of tears, "Gandalf forgive me." Pippin closes his eyes again and Gandalf raises his voice, "Look at me! What did you see?" My hearing slowly started to fade in and out as I lay on Legolas' arms on the floor. I heard Pippin mention something about a tree and how he told Sauron nothing.

I felt Legolas call my name as everything faded into black.
~~~~
I awoke a few hours later and looked over the city. I spotted Merry and Aragorn climbing up a watch tower. I went to them and saw they were saying at Gandalf and Pippin riding away on Shadowfax. Merry sighed, "He's always followed me everywhere I went since before we were tweens. I would get him into the worst sort of trouble but I was always there to get him out. Now he's gone."