thirty-three

•••

         The school year was back in motion and everyone was more stressed-out than ever. Jessica has had something similar to a panic attack, one in Potions and another one in Transfiguration. Even Sirius seemed stressed, who was always encouraging others to relax. But somehow, none of them amounted to Ivy.

        She was taking six classes, which most students and even a few teachers didn't recommend at all. But like usual, Ivy didn't listen and decided to anyways. She regrets it greatly now.

        Ivy was sitting in the Great Hall with Jessica, Bella, and Chloe, scribbling down answers furiously in her half-cursive handwriting. Her face was barely inches away from the paper. At the moment, Remus and his gang were doing work, just in a different location. The full moon was over and Remus didn't seem sick or tired anymore, but it somehow seemed to transfer to Ivy. She was tired and looked sick, with headaches all day long.

"I'm so tired," Chloe complained as she wrote. "We've been working for at least two hours."

       Bella glanced at her watch. "It's been thirty minutes."

        Chloe groaned, placing her head down on her book. She was the most reluctant to study out of the group. Ivy wasn't listening. She was flipping pages hurriedly as she tapped her foot against the table. Since this was her one free period, she had a class in an hour.

They studied for some more time. Ivy has been reading the same sentence over and over in hopes to understand it, but she couldn't bring herself to comprehend what it meant. Bella nudged her, saying it was time for her class. The rest of her friends had another free period, but she had to walk all the way across the castle to Alchemy.

Once she was in the classroom, she felt like falling asleep. Ivy was the type of person that could sleep anywhere, like a cat. She could sleep in a suitcase, for all she cares about. Her eyes grew heavy and the teacher was just another noise in the back of her head. And then she fell asleep.

"Ivy... Ivy!" Eliza, a fellow Ravenclaw said as she nudged her subtly. The class was over and most students were leaving. "I took notes for you. Be careful, Professor Rosenquist probably noticed."

Ivy glanced over to where the teacher was sitting, who already had a pointed gaze fixed on her.

"Ms. Scott, can I speak to you for a second?" She said, causing Ivy to hastily pack away her books and walk to the desk timidly. The professor wasn't even looking at her, she was reading a book. She looked up for a second, sighing. "Are you alright?"

This question took Ivy by surprise. She stuttered. "Yes, I'm fine."

"It doesn't seem like it. You took a nap today in class, something that's never happened. And you're taking five other classes. I think only seven other students in the school are taking that many," She said with the shake of her head. "Skip my class for the next week. I'll have students take notes for you."

"What?! What— no! I'll fall behind," Ivy protested. Professor Rosenquist smiled.

"You remind me of myself. And you don't have a choice. If you come to my class, you have detention!" She said with a smile, clapping her hands. Ivy should be happy to get a break but was the exact opposite.

"Are you sure?" Ivy asked, hoping she would change her mind.

"Yes, I'm sure. You are the best in my class, you won't fall behind. You get perfect scores on every quiz I assign and always turn things in on time. You need a break," Professor Rosenquist said, smiling at her. Ivy sighed wearily, not feeling like arguing.