Chapter 18: The Proposal

Mrs Everdeen, can I take Katniss out for a minute?" Gale asks my mother and I look down to my entwined hands on my lap.

"Yes, go ahead." She replies and I roll my eyes. I look up at her and she shoots me a quick death glare.

"Katniss?" Gale asks and I turn to see his hand extended towards mine. I show him a quick false smile and place my hand in his. I stand up and I leave with him out of the room.

He waits for me and once we are side by side, he places his hand against my lower back. I mentally cringe at the gesture and just let him take me wherever he is going to. We walk to the main door and both exit it. once the door is closed, I feel trapped.

Gale takes me to a clear patch of garden just out the front of the house. Once we step foot on it, his hand leaves my back. I am so relieved when it goes. "Nice evening isn't it?" Gale asks me as I look up towards the sky, focus on the splats where orange is starting to appear.

"Yeah. I love it." I state and Peeta instantly fills my minds. His favourite colour. I sigh and  plead for Gale to leave me alone silently.

"Katniss?" I hear Gale ask and I turn to face him. My stomach drops to the ground and I start getting nauseous. The sight is the least I wanted to see. Gale down on one knee. "Katniss Everdeen, you are absolutely beautiful," I mentally roll my eyes, like he ever said that to me before. I just continue to stare at him, speechless and emotionless. "I have loved you since the day we first met. Will you do the honors -" he pauses, getting out a black box from his pocket and opening it to reveal a big diamond ring. I gasp at the sight. "of becoming my wife?" He finishes.

My eyes widen and I look petrified to him. My answer is so simple. I build up courage I never knew I lost and turn to face him straight on. "No." I see his face fall at my answer.

"No?' He confirms.

"NO. FIRSTLY, I ABSOLUTELY DISLIKE YOU. SECONDLY, WE HAVEN'T EVEN DATED. THRIDLY, THERE WOULD BE NO WAY I WOULD MARRY YOU EVEN IF YOU WERE THE LAST PERSON ON THIS EARTH AND LASTLY - " I get caught on my own words. Saying this could get me into trouble. I debate in my head whether to say it or not. I agree on saying it for the sake of it, I don't care about what happens to me any more. "LASTLY, I LOVE SOMEBODY ELSE!" I finish and storm off, leavnig Gale bewildered.

I burst back into the house and run upstairs, avoiding my mother at all costs. But I don't enter my room. I sprint down the hall way and up another set of stairs. Once I reach the stop. I tilt the handle down and push the door open. The cool breeze of the evening air hits me as I set foot on the roof of the house. I don't stop. I keep running. Straight to the edge. And don't stop.