Chapter 3: Catch Me When I Fall

I don't feel right the moment I leave the boys embrace.

Madge keeps dragging me away from him. I so badly want to go back to him and at least ask for his name. I don't know who he is.

"Madge." I say but she keeps leading me to the edge of the room, ignoring her name call. She opens two glass doors that lead to a balcony and pushes me out onto it.
"Madge!" I exclaim and turn around to face her. "What's wrong, you're freaking me out?"

"Do. You. Have. A. Painful. Death. Planned!?" She says with emphasis.

"What!? No! What has come into your head!" I retort.

"Do you know who that guy is??" She asks me seriously.

"Umm..no." I say and put on an innocent smile.

"That was Peeta Mellark!" As soon as the name escapes her lips, I have a piece of information about this boy. I glance over and try to find the boy I just danced with.

I find him and see his eyes are trained on me as well.

My mouth slightly drops. Then it hits. That wasn't a smart move.

"My family's rival." I say under my breath and I feel my eyes widen.

The Mellark's and the Everdeen's have had a rivalry for a few generations. I've been told that one of my great grandparents were friends with his great grandparent. Then for some reason, which I have not yet discovered, they became enemies and we have ever since.

But this Peeta Mellark seems to be a person I want to be friends with. He didn't keep his distance from me like the rest of his family would. He probably didn't know it was me.

Once I see his friend, Delly Cartwright, come up to him my eyes break away from his figure and look back at Madge.

"I- I didn't know." I state.

"You know what that means now." She continues and I nod. I gulp knowing very clearly.

"Yeah. I do." I answer quietly and look out onto the garden beyond the balcony frame.

"You'll get caught if it happens again." Madge sighs shortly afterwards.

This realisation is clouding up too much of my brain. Thank you Madge. I mentally roll my eyes.

"Can I be alone for a while?" I ask Madge, not looking at her.

"Yeah sure. Anything." She says, placing some hair behind my ear before walking back to all the action.

"Madge." I say and look to the door where she turns back to me. "You look beautiful tonight." I comment and we both exchange smiles.

"Thanks girl. See you later." She farewells before slowly blends into the crowd.

My head falls down to the grey marble floor. I feel my body drop and soon I am on my knees.

I'm never to see or talk to him again. The boy I shan't have anymore contact with.

The light from inside leaves quickly and my head snaps to discover the source of the disspearence.
I see him. Peeta Mellark. The kind enemy. I wish we weren't rivals because of our past.

I let a single tear slip down my cheek as this will be the last time we see each other. I see sadness in his eyes, a darker shade of blue. He probably knows it's me now.

He turns and walks away from the doors. My face falls at the moment his navy suit and blonde hair disappears from my sight.

The boy that I might actually be falling for is out of my grasp. We are never to be friends, or even lovers.