Chapter 6: She'll Do It

My sobs and voice is the only thing that fills the room. My pillow is probably so drenched with my tears that I'll need a new pillowcase.

My fist containing the bed sheets stays by my side. "Peeta." I whisper through my sobs. "Who do we have a family rivalry!? I really want to be with you." I murmur and close my eyes.

I carefully place my hand over my cheek and wince at the pain brought by the bruise. "Help me Peeta." I quietly plead but he isn't. He can't.
I want Peeta here, I want his warmth that can comfort me. I want his soothing voice to ring through my ears. But I can't.

I see my phone light up and start vibrating against the sodden surface fir the bedside table but I ignore it. I just want to be alone. It'll probably be the only way I can get myself back.

I hear footsteps and voices outside my door. I keep crying to drown out the possible horrible things they could be saying about me.

I don't want to be here! I don't want to live!

"Stop it Mum! Treat and love me like you treat and love Prim! Or just leave!" I scream, even though she could burst in any minute and hurt me even more. I wail and sob louder. I look up to the ceiling and watch my tears blur my vision even more.

Beyond my sobbing, I hear a hand take grasp of the doorknob.
I screech and curl into a fetal position and put my arms on my head. The door opens and I hear it close. I quieten my sobs but let the tears keep their rapid flow.

I feel hands touch my body carefully. "Don't hurt me!" I beg and close my eyes. Preparing for the pain impact.

"Katniss." My eyes open immediately at the sound of the familiar voice. It could be one of two people.

"Poppy?" I ask and turn over to see if I was right.

"Yeah." Poppy says. Poppy is one of the only and closest friends I have. She's a maid here and older than me by a few years but she always tends to look after me.

"Oh. Your sister was right. Look at your sweet face." She exclaims and gently places her fingers one both sides of my face to examine my mothers damage. She wipes my tears that are still flowing. "Hey, hey. Don't cry. I've got some soothing cream for the pain." I nod and sit up, leaning against the headboard.

Poppy opens up a tin and places her fingers inside. She gets some cream on her fingers and gently starts applying it to my face. I wince when she firsts puts it on but the pain subsides as she smooths it over my cheeks.

"What happened this time?" She asks with a sad smile on her face.

"I went for a walk and came back too late." I answer and she frowns. "It wasn't my fault! I didn't have the time on me!" I retort and Poppy tries to shush me.

"I know. It's okay." She comments and continues to apply the cream to my face. I glance at the closed door and decide I can trust her.

"Can you keep a secret? Just us two?" I ask and she nods.

"Of course Katniss. What is it?"

I take a deep breath before answering. "Earlier this week when I went to the Hawthorne's dance, I met a boy." I start.

"That's lovely Katniss! You should let your Dad and sister know."

"No I can't! You see, it's Peeta Mellark. The family rival." "Oh." Is all that she can say.

"But I love him so much already and I want to be with him." I state and feel tears in my eyes again, after I was able to stop them.

"It's not worth crying over the idea I have." I look to her slightly confused. "His family owns the bakery in town right?" I nod, knowing that answer even though I actually don't know heaps about him.

"I'll get an excuse to go to the bakery and get his phone number, that way you can talk to him and meet up. Meeting up privately that is.." I gasp.

"You would do that for me!?" I exclaim and see her nod with a big smile. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I exclaim and bring her into a big hug. She accepts and hugs me back.

Why do I need to shed tears now? I can be happy as I can see him again.